• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Couple of Questions to ask

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know the area this fella is talking about, hunted there a good bit, throw in the possibility of drawing a bear tag my recommendation is the .54 with .530 ball 15 thousand patch and 80-90 gr of 3 f (depending on the rifle) your good to go.

As to the Kibler question; I had built several scratch build flintlocks, bought an early SMR kit and found it fairly easy to put together although the early kit wasn't as refined as the ones that Kibler makes now. I bought my kit second hand for a guy who couldn't put it together.

I have a friend that had my gunsmith friend build him a Kibler colonial and then decided to try his hand at a SMR. He was an intelligent, crafty guy but had no gun building experience, I mentored his building via Facebook messenger. I had taken pictures along the way of my SMR build and shared advice and pictures with him when he got stumped, which was often. The bottom line was my instructions as well as the Kibler videos were Greek to him, he couldn't follow along. He finally finished his build but it took a long time, a month or more.

If you have an experienced builder around to steer you, go for it. You can build a colonial if you are a crafty guy, if you are inexperienced and carefully follow the Kibler videos and don't get in a hurry you can be successful. If you have "0" experience in making anything, no tools and no place to work buy a Woodsrunner instead. not much building to them as the video suggests.

I am a bow maker and have tried to teach a bunch of guys the craft, the majority of them throw up their hands and quit, they just don't enjoy the work that goes into making a bow or any other thing for that matter.

Do the sights in the video appear backwards?
1693090209469.jpeg

Latest posts

Back