• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler Pennsylvania Rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are correct! I missed that he stated the barrel length. Guess I should have put my glasses on to see the photos too. But the Woodsrunner plug is still good. Don't have any experience with the Colonial.
I thought you had a Colonial, sir. Remember the rear sight issue we shared? Not tall enough? You gave me the TOW part number for a taller sight. I didn't know that was an issue with the WR. Anyway what I ended up doing is getting one of those peeps that go into the rear sight dovetail and then filing of the top of the peep hole to make it traditional albeit a bit taller than the one that came on it. Works great. I always meant to get back to you on that.

I thought you had a Colonial, sir. Remember the rear sight issue we shared? Not tall enough? You gave me the TOW part number for a taller sight. I didn't know that was an issue with the WR. Anyway what I ended up doing is getting one of those peeps that go into the rear sight dovetail and then filing of the top of the peep hole to make it traditional albeit a bit taller than the one that came on it. Works great. I always meant to get back to you on that.
Good deal Mike. Nope, no Colonial. I have the taller rear sights on my 2 Woodsrunners and SMRs. Very happy with them.

Cleaning up the brass castings is becoming the longest part of the process for me. I started at 150 grit, and have to wonder if I should have started with 80.
I never started with sandpaper. I use Swiss pattern needle files on sand castings. If there are larger flat and rounded areas I will start with a small triangular file for saw sharpening saw blades or a small rattail file for sharpening chainsaw blades. These have coarser teeth and can get the rough parts mostly smooth before needle files, sandpaper, and a buffing wheel. Still it can take a lot of time.

I never started with sandpaper. I use Swiss pattern needle files on sand castings. If there are larger flat and rounded areas I will start with a small triangular file for saw sharpening saw blades or a small rattail file for sharpening chainsaw blades. These have coarser teeth and can get the rough parts mostly smooth before needle files, sandpaper, and a buffing wheel. Still it can take a lot of time.

I'll remember that for next time. This is my first, and really my first time having to clean up brass casting.

1709894866810.png

"I got him down to $1,300. Any input would be welcomed."

Pay the man for his time! I have only put a couple of gun kits together. Though it is a "kit" it takes time (and skill to do it right.) I make reproduction clothing, accouterments and leather goods. Everyone wants a museum quality item for a Walmart price. That is a nice looking gun. Pay the man for his time or let someone else. If it was easy, you'd buy a kit and do it yourself. TDY

1300 is a great deal. If both of you are happy, that is all that matters. In my opinion his time into it isnt a factor unless the builder thinks it is. ..in my opinion, only a consideration on my end for his time builiding is if the builder is a professional builder.

Latest posts

Back