• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking at a Northwest Trade gun kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, I'm taking the plunge and am looking to get a Northwest trade gun kit, so far I like Pecatonicas kits, also like Tracks kits as well....the Pecatonica kit is less money by 75$ or so. Anyhow, by you guys vast experience, which one is the best kit for a beginner? Or if there are other choices that are cost effective feel free to toss em out there... :wink:
I'd like to simply purchase one already built, but it seems they are more than the 680$ ( that price reflects a wood upgrade) kit by Pecatonica....and around 750$ ( that's for the wood upgrade and breech plug installed) for Track.

What sort of wood upgrade? Walnut was what most were built on, I put mine on plain maple stained like walnut. People can have a choice and your gun only needs to please you. IMHO curly looks poor on a NWG :idunno:

I've seen a few with nicer maple stocks..I kinda liked em. I'm not talking super premium curly maple ...but more of a grade 2 upgrade....in all reality I don't even need to upgrade the maple...but I am not spending the extra for walnut for sure....I'm working with a budget.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trade guns were built with plain stocks because they were built for a price. Figured wood will not look right, so since you are on a budget anyway, go for the correct stock and save a little.

If I was going to get another one it would be from Northstar West, a 41" barrel in 28 ga (.54 cal), plain walnut stock, Barnett syle sideplate, stamps on the lock and barrel. When finished, the barrel would be rust blued.

I have built three, and shot a chief's grade for years. Excellent machines.

Back