• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help Choosing a Trade Gun Kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@TDM ,

I have a finished Northwest gun from Caywood that is excellent in every way. He has his own line of locks, and they are good enough that other builders seek them. He sells his long guns as kits, assembled in the white, or finished. He does make a Wilson trade gun that would be in line with your timeframe, which might be a little early for a Northwest gun.

I had not seen any of @Rob M. 's work before, but everything he has shown us looks to be top-notch. The prices he described (post #25) are more than fair. I really like what I see of his work.

One other name I did not see mentioned was Don Bruton. I don't think he makes exact copies of early trade guns, but some of the smoothbores that have come from his shop sure do look a lot like them. He makes his own mountings (buttplates, triggerguards, ramrod pipes...) This is one from his website:

Don Bruton1.1.jpg

I don't own any of his guns, but I sure would like to. I've corresponded with him some in the past. It is rumored that he is not taking orders at this time, but it wouldn't hurt to contact him if you are interested. His work is very highly regarded.

Decisions, decisions... You have options, my friend! I'm sure we will all be interested in seeing the one you select.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

@TDM ,

I have a finished Northwest gun from Caywood that is excellent in every way. He has his own line of locks, and they are good enough that other builders seek them. He sells his long guns as kits, assembled in the white, or finished. He does make a Wilson trade gun that would be in line with your timeframe, which might be a little early for a Northwest gun.

I had not seen any of @Rob M. 's work before, but everything he has shown us looks to be top-notch. The prices he described (post #25) are more than fair. I really like what I see of his work.

One other name I did not see mentioned was Don Bruton. I don't think he makes exact copies of early trade guns, but some of the smoothbores that have come from his shop sure do look a lot like them. He makes his own mountings (buttplates, triggerguards, ramrod pipes...) This is one from his website:

View attachment 191668

I don't own any of his guns, but I sure would like to. I've corresponded with him some in the past. It is rumored that he is not taking orders at this time, but it wouldn't hurt to contact him if you are interested. His work is very highly regarded.

Decisions, decisions... You have options, my friend! I'm sure we will all be interested in seeing the one you select.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
I’m leaning towards Caywood at this time, I really enjoy the building process. But on the other hand I’ve never owned a custom built gun, so I’m considering getting with Rob on one. Maybe still build one too. I’m certainly not made of money, but I don’t plan on taking any of it with me either! So will see. Got to finish the SMR first. Thanks much for the advice.

Is it a possibilty that a long hunter or fur trapper may have carried one of these into the woods?
The first rifle maker that shows up in records I recall was a 1711. But until the French and Indian wars rifles were few and far between and confined largely to the Pennsylvania area. So most of the Long Hunter period the typical gun would have been a smoothbore through the eastern Appalachia and ‘down east’ Maine, Vermont New Hampshire, upstate New York.
Most long hunters were not longhunters for life. They went and got them a stake. Then they got land and built a home and family. A rifle, even if they could find one was expensive.
Out west, most MM were part of a company. They were issued a gun from company stock. If lost or broken they may have to make do with a trade gun.
Most didn’t hunt, as the brigade employed hunters. The guns were for defense.
While ‘Americans’ always reached for a rifle, French fur trappers, even company men, along with the large number of Eastern Indian tribal people that worked in the west gravitated to fusils.

Back