• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Help Choosing a Trade Gun Kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Trying to plan ahead for next years build. I want a Northwest Trade gun, early English, circa 1740, in 20 GA.

Considering Jedediah Starr, Pecatonica River, Clay Smith, Caywood Guns, and Sitting Fox.

Of these, which would you recommend? Or what would be another good choice of a maker?

Thanks.

IMHO Caywood is your best in terms of accuracy of the build
Pecotonic is an assembled set of parts and the stock comes separately. They’re high quality
Unfimilar with Jed Star, they went down with the pandemic and I understand slow to respond now
I’ve heard good about Clay Smith
Sitting Fox gave me excellent service fair price and good product. I can’t recommend them enough….but, their early trade gun isn’t as close as could be. These are minor and modifiable
‘If’n it twer my money,’ my first choice would be Cayeood, second choice sitting fox

Sitting Fox before the pandemic had a lot more to offer but they do offer two 1740s style trade the ‘early’ and the Yangese guns
1689E2DE-08EE-4BE9-A495-AF09A37FC5ED.png
144B8E9F-58C3-41A8-9598-3E63F5E0BE0F.png

How are the Sitting Fox barrels? I would like to build a 20ga Fowler, but I seem to remember reading that Sitting Fox barrels are not swamped.

Jim Chambers...
1671393739834.png

English Fowler/Officers Fusil
1671393821653.png

New England Fowler
1671393878929.png

PA Fowler....
All good choices.

Clay Smith....
1671393999619.png

My son a Clay Smith Carolina, he lets me use...I love it. With that said his Carolina is a little fat and a little short with a 42"barrel. This is corrected with his Bumford kit. 24 gauge would be spot on for Carolina with a 48"bbl.

If it was me and it's your green. But I would stay with Clay Smith or contact Rob Miller. Trade guns is all he does.
Sitting Fox is ok but it is.not a true gun shop. He works from his home and orders parts from other suppliers. So it can be a hit or miss project.
Now depending on what you might want done build why's. He farms that work out to several people. Some good and some...well maybe not...? Just saying....

I would probably also recommend looking at the offerings from Clay Smith. He is one of the few who offer a Carolina Gun or type G trade gun. There is a lot of speculation about these guns as complete guns have not been found. There are pieces of guns that have the same basic characteristics and by gathering the pieces a reasonable speculation about what such a gun would look like can be made. Enough parts have been gathered from a variety of places that the Clay Smith build is based on solid information.

Build from a blank and you get exactly what you want. Building from a blank is easier.
Very True about the stock blank.
HOWEVER...while you do have complete freedom to create your stock, there is a whole lot more wood to remove. Also, if you are not familiar with stock-making, there are more errors to be encountered and corrected as well; of course NOT that I would know firsthandedly ! :doh:

I would probably also recommend looking at the offerings from Clay Smith. He is one of the few who offer a Carolina Gun or type G trade gun. There is a lot of speculation about these guns as complete guns have not been found. There are pieces of guns that have the same basic characteristics and by gathering the pieces a reasonable speculation about what such a gun would look like can be made. Enough parts have been gathered from a variety of places that the Clay Smith build is based on solid information.
Clay helped get me a lock made to replace my Lott lock on my trade gun. It dropped right in I only had to get it tapped for the screw and hand grind the main spring so it would fit in, but he expected that and walked me through the process. Also Not only did he help with that he hardened the frizzin on my Lott lock, made and replaced The main spring for the Lott, sent the multiple springs for my new lock and talked to me on the phone about all of it for almost an hour. I really appreciated his time. This is just my experience others may vary

Back