• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help Choosing a Trade Gun Kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi bud . No , I'm sorry , I never have anything on hand to sale just busy building g all the time , thank goodness. I can certainly build you one though . I'm about 6-7 months out on my build list now , sometimes gets to a year or better. What type are you interested in ? I'll send you a picture of a couple south paw guns I've built .

img_7_1669502968484.jpg

Here is a southpaw Carolina gun then a south paw NW Trade gun . Both 20 ga. ,both under 6 pounds . Made from a plank of wood in the traditional manner by hand , no a kit gun . Guaranteed for life . 1700 for the NW gun , 1900 for the Carolina gun ....

Both beautiful, I was hoping originally for a fowler, but am beginning to take interest in the trade guns. What type of lock and barrel are you using, and what type of accuracy are you seeing out of PRB?

Both beautiful, I was hoping originally for a fowler, but am beginning to take interest in the trade guns. What type of lock and barrel are you using, and what type of accuracy are you seeing out of PRB?
I do a lot of archery hunting and have no problem getting deer under 50 yards usually

Trying to plan ahead for next years build. I want a Northwest Trade gun, early English, circa 1740, in 20 GA.

Considering Jedediah Starr, Pecatonica River, Clay Smith, Caywood Guns, and Sitting Fox.

Of these, which would you recommend? Or what would be another good choice of a maker?

Thanks.
If you go with the Early English Trade Gun, go to Sitting Fox. If you tell him Rick Baker sent you and I said to give you a discount, he will. He will definitely give you best price.
Semper Fi.

Last edited:
Hi bud . Sorry for the delay , still learning this new to me forum . Ken Netting turns the barrels to taper then I grind and file the flats . 20 ga. only . Good accuracy to 50 yards , good groups over the years but ive gotta 6" 3 shot groups before at 50 yard , never shot further on paper yet .

Lock wise ...I use RE Davis Old English for my NW Trade Guns and L&R Queen Anne for my Type G / Carolina Gun . All guns hand made from a plank , not from a kit , guaranteed for life .

For south paw I use the L&R Queen Anne lock . Funny ....I like their land hand version of the Queen Anne better than the right hand version , esp. the arm to the sear . Stout and not tapered .

Trying to plan ahead for next years build. I want a Northwest Trade gun, early English, circa 1740, in 20 GA.

Considering Jedediah Starr, Pecatonica River, Clay Smith, Caywood Guns, and Sitting Fox.

Of these, which would you recommend? Or what would be another good choice of a maker?

Thanks.
The top one in walnut is an early NW Trade gun . The first year the HBC introduced the cast side plates was 1749 so its accurate to that time period . If you want earlier than a flat side plate can be added .

Attachments

• img_2_1669243153306.jpg
    img_2_1669243153306.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 0
  • img_1_1669243104395.jpg
    img_1_1669243104395.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 0
The top one in walnut is an early NW Trade gun . The first year the HBC introduced the cast side plates was 1749 so its accurate to that time period . If you want earlier than a flat side plate can be added .
Rob, your builds are absolutely beautiful. I’m still leaning toward building my own, though it wouldn’t be up to your standards! But I’m definitely planning to contact you if I chicken out.

Rob, your builds are absolutely beautiful. I’m still leaning toward building my own, though it wouldn’t be up to your standards! But I’m definitely planning to contact you if I chicken out.
Oh OK bud . I encourage you to build it ! It'll be awesome ! If you need any help or ask any questions get ahold of me. I'll help anyway way I can .

Hello kind folks. I would like to start a post or thread however I don't know how and can't see to figure it out. I can however respond to others
Go to the top of the forum thread that meets your subject matter. Near the top is a “post thread” icon. Tap it, then type your topic title. Then type in your question, description, comment in the post box. Upload photos to this too. Then touch post.

Latest posts

Back