• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lock & barrel shine

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skunkskinner

50 Cal.
Reaction score
My first rifle build is coming to an end.I want the lock & barrel to look like the one on the cover of Muzzle Blast magazine, January 09 issue. The gun in the top of the picture. Dull bright, is what I'm hoping for. The only thing that's been done to the barrel so far is draw filed.

TOW said to use LMF browning reagent & degreaser. Is there a better way, or would this be the best way to do it?
Thanks

I hate to say as I've never done it before. Send Roy a pt and I'm sure he'll tell you the whole process as he's the one who built that gun.

The LMF will get you an almost black finish when boiled not what your looking for from seeing the cover of MB.

Don't know Roy, but I also like the looks of his Naval Jelly treatment. Any revealing of his process here on the forum, if appropriate, would be greatly appreciated.
thanks.

Just put the Naval jelly on clean metal and let it set it for about 15 minutes then rinse with water. You may have to do a couple applications to get the grey even :v . Remember to wear gloves and best if you use it out side. Its an acid and it will give off an odor.

Any hardware store. It's rust remover.

By the way, I have been told to NEVER put naval jelly on springs or similar parts, as it will embrittle the steel.

That's a good point Stophel.
That "frosting" that is left on the surface consists of thousands of little craters, many of them with sharp edges.
Any sharp edge on a spring will be the source of cracks when the spring is loaded or stressed.

They may not crack on the first use of the spring but with time they eventually will.

thanks Roy.
on SwampRat's signature page rifle, can you share your last pre-Naval Jelly treatment of the barrel, in terms sandpaper grit or other finishing treatment ? Picture looks like it might be a little smoother than what one might leave it for rust browning ? thanks again.

I just draw file them, and make sure that I clean the file often. I sometimes use 220 sand paper with a sanding block... sort of depends on how it looks. If you can get all your scratches going in the same direction thats what really matters for a clean look. I never really cared for that mirror finish on a ML.

Latest posts

Back