• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Loading Block

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BrownBear said:
Speaking as a guy with fumbley hands in cold, wet weather or gloves, the larger size with projecting legs and such are a plus rather than a minus. Get a little grease on a block, and you'll be chasing it if its' too small or smooth. Kinda like a bar of soap in the shower.

Sounds as though the next one should have a bit of textured carving as an adornment.

Wick Ellerbe said:
Beautiful work. Very nicely done, but seems awfully big for just two extra shots.

It looks like you could have put another one in its head and maybe two in the tail!
I could kind of see someone sitting around the fire on a cold winter's whitlin on one of these, many a year ago!

ApprenticeBuilder said:
BrownBear said:
Speaking as a guy with fumbley hands in cold, wet weather or gloves, the larger size with projecting legs and such are a plus rather than a minus. Get a little grease on a block, and you'll be chasing it if its' too small or smooth. Kinda like a bar of soap in the shower.

Sounds as though the next one should have a bit of textured carving as an adornment.

I'm betting this one offers plenty of "grip," but I don't want to stifle any creativity! I'm alluss lookin fer idears tu stole! :hatsoff:

Not to put anybody down, as this is not my intent, but all of these "on and on" comments praising the fine art of drilling a couple holes in a board to hold a couple balls isn't rocket science!

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

50cal.cliff said:
Wick Ellerbe said:
Beautiful work. Very nicely done, but seems awfully big for just two extra shots.

It looks like you could have put another one in its head and maybe two in the tail!
I could kind of see someone sitting around the fire on a cold winter's whitlin on one of these, many a year ago!

Yeah I could have made it with more shots, but it would have detracted from the overall "feel" of the piece, also there really should be no reason for more than a follow up shot or two.

horner75 said:
Not to put anybody down, as this is not my intent, but all of these "on and on" comments praising the fine art of drilling a couple holes in a board to hold a couple balls isn't rocket science!

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

I am to guess that you are comparing this to the rocket science of powder horns I spose?

Not sure on this one.

But I am thinking that the positive comments are directed more at the design and sculpting of the wood and less about the drilled holes, eh.

Just saying.....

Back