• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler SMR Trouble

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have an .36 Kibler SMR kit in Cherry that I have been working on for some time. It's 90% complete with nothing buggered up on it. However, there are issues that have confounded me to the point where I've put it aside and it saddens and embarrasses me every time I see it in the corner of my workspace. I have decided to man up, swallow my pride, and get these things fixed. My frustrations have driven me slightly batty.

Is there anyone that I can send this to that can complete this rifle for me?

The wood and metal are finished. I'm a rank amateur but they look pretty good to me.

I am very unhappy with my buttplate fitting and need this corrected. Again, it's not buggered up but I'm afraid of doing any more that may make things worse.

The lock is blued and again looks pretty good to me. It functions perfectly HOWEVER I can't seem to make it work correctly when I mount it on the rifle itself. I have disassembled and reassembled twice and I can't figure this out. My frustration is tremendous.

I need to have the trigger guard and ramrod guides drilled and pinned.

Is there anyone out there that takes on wayward projects like this for a reasonable fee?

Attachments

• SMR.jpg
    SMR.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 7
.... I have decided to man up, swallow my pride, and get these things fixed. ....
Good man. :thumb:

The wood and metal are finished. I'm a rank amateur but they look pretty good to me.
You've already done most of the work.

I am very unhappy with my buttplate fitting and need this corrected.
My buttplate needed some bending because its curve would not fit the stock without massive wood removal. Jim Kibler says it's OK to do a little bending, if needed.

Feel free to get some ideas on what not to do by reading my build log, if it helps:
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/my-kibler-smr-build-log.166072/

I have an .36 Kibler SMR kit in Cherry that I have been working on for some time. It's 90% complete with nothing buggered up on it. However, there are issues that have confounded me to the point where I've put it aside and it saddens and embarrasses me every time I see it in the corner of my workspace. I have decided to man up, swallow my pride, and get these things fixed. My frustrations have driven me slightly batty.

Is there anyone that I can send this to that can complete this rifle for me?

I am very unhappy with my buttplate fitting and need this corrected. Again, it's not buggered up but I'm afraid of doing any more that may make things worse.

The lock is blued and again looks pretty good to me. It functions perfectly HOWEVER I can't seem to make it work correctly when I mount it on the rifle itself. I have disassembled and reassembled twice and I can't figure this out. My frustration is tremendous.

I need to have the trigger guard and ramrod guides drilled and pinned.

Is there anyone out there that takes on wayward projects like this for a reasonable fee?
I would do it for free for you, but you would have to cover shipping both ways. I live in Colorado. AJ

If the lock functions, but not when mounted, the problem might be the trigger mounting. Remove the trigger assembly and see if the lock works (you can stick something up into the lock cavity to trip the sear). If that's what's happening, then your trigger assembly isn't mounted properly.

It sounds like the trigger assembly from Kibler was cut to far back and won’t allow it to make full contact to the sear. It sounds like the trigger in full motion has went as far as it can go without making enough contact. Even with CNC on his Machines things can go wrong, call him and give him some Measurements.

I have a friend that wanted a Kibler SMR, he had a gunsmith friend of mine build him a Colonial. This guy had made a number of selfbows so I was sure he could complete a SMR even though he had no experience with kits.

He bought the kit and was quickly overwhelmed, stuff that is second nature to many of us was a complicated jigsaw puzzle to him. I started a running how to with pictures on Facebook messenger to help him out. I had put together a SMR and took a lot of pictures along the way just in case someone in the future was stumped with the process and needed a little help.

Even with my help he struggled with every step, what I found was that he couldn't follow instructions, I would tell him how to do something and show him pictures but he would drift off on a tangent and get lost again. He lived 5 hours away so I couldn't give him hands on help.

When it came to barrel browning he messed it up 2 times and got blotchy results even after reading the LMF instructions several times. He was overdoing the process and carding with sandpaper that made a mess even after I told him to card with a piece of course denim.

He finally got his rifle finished; it doesn't look half bad but helping him made me realize that some people just aren't cut out for this stuff.

I have a friend that wanted a Kibler SMR, he had a gunsmith friend of mine build him a Colonial. This guy had made a number of selfbows so I was sure he could complete a SMR even though he had no experience with kits.

He bought the kit and was quickly overwhelmed, stuff that is second nature to many of us was a complicated jigsaw puzzle to him. I started a running how to with pictures on Facebook messenger to help him out. I had put together a SMR and took a lot of pictures along the way just in case someone in the future was stumped with the process and needed a little help.

Even with my help he struggled with every step, what I found was that he couldn't follow instructions, I would tell him how to do something and show him pictures but he would drift off on a tangent and get lost again. He lived 5 hours away so I couldn't give him hands on help.

When it came to barrel browning he messed it up 2 times and got blotchy results even after reading the LMF instructions several times. He was overdoing the process and carding with sandpaper that made a mess even after I told him to card with a piece of course denim.

He finally got his rifle finished; it doesn't look half bad but helping him made me realize that some people just aren't cut out for this stuff.

I am "selectively" handy. As far as this project goes the wood and metal finishing were pleasant with good results.

I was never taught the handyman stuff as a young person and I only started to learn that sort of thing as an adult, after sobriety. I enjoy working with my hands but I get too frustrated with myself. I get frustrated with the task at hand then I get frustrated with myself for not being able to figure out the task and this can be a horrible spiral. I have to walk away.

I've slowly learned welding, simple carpentry, and my wife is patiently teaching me to sew with her machine. I'm headed in the right direction.

Thanks to all for their help.

It's hard to be sure of the trouble from afar. If you send the gun back, I'll check it out and adjust anything that needs tweaking. If you pay shipping I'll do the work at no charge.

Jim
Jim -- This was nothing on your end at all. The lock functioned fine in the rifle before I disassembled the lock for bluing. It's still perfect until I mount it and then I have trouble. I am overlooking something simple but I grew frustrated and just set it aside.

I appreciate your offer very much but acavdragoon is going to set me right.

Latest posts

Back