• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock smooth bores are hard to beat

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banjoman

45 Cal.
Reaction score
For the benefit of our friends who don’t have one. 😄

Why are flintlock smooth bores with a traditional flat faced breech the best guns in the whole wide world?

1. They’re good for rabbits, squirrels, quail, grouse, turkey, deer, bear, elk and several more.

2. They’re versatile to load. Anything from #9 shot to buck shot to round balls.

3. They’re easy to load.

4. They’re easy to clean. No patent breech corners to fool with, just a big old smooth bore.

5. Flints are easy to buy or make.

6. They sound cool when you shoot ‘em.

7. They are just plain fun.

Now, go get you one. 👍🤣

OH YE SCALLYWAG!! Ya done gone and dun it now! Thanks, I'm gonna go out here and Play with the only smooth bore I have to get my fix thanks to you. ( My first gun) It is a smooth bore, but of the unmentionable variety. But I can front load it with the adapter I have. Still NOT the same though! On a serious Note. I hope to scratch my smooth bore itch real soon.

Count me in.....Im hooked on smoothies. I love being able to shoot shot or ball.
You can load with patch, pre-cut wads, tow, grass, leaves ETC. and I really appreciate the overall versatility.
Small or big game its covered with a smoothie.

8. Women find men who shoot smoothbores to be more handsome.
I didn't read this post until now, but earlier today I told my better half I was going to shoot my 14 bore gun. Her eyes sparkled and she said " Oh you sexy beast, can I go and watch?" At least that's what i Heard!!!

My sweety shooting a long barreled trade gun I made . She was scared it was gonna kick , it didnt of course , and she was happy :)

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1674968695925.jpg
    FB_IMG_1674968695925.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 0
  • FB_IMG_1674968703324.jpg
    FB_IMG_1674968703324.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 0
I love the history surrounding the smoothbores as well , esp. my beloved trade guns .... TM.Hamilton got me hooked on trade guns , I built my first one , everyone told me I should be building a rifle at the time , and then I found out how versatile they were !! Huntin squirrel , then rabbit , then deer ... It was great !/just love em :) I can certainly understand folks preferring rifles when all their shots are 75 yards and further . My shots are rarely over 50-60 yards ...

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1705338806033.jpg
    FB_IMG_1705338806033.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I didn't read this post until now, but earlier today I told my better half I was going to shoot my 14 bore gun. Her eyes sparkled and she said " Oh you sexy beast, can I go and watch?" At least that's what i Heard!!!
LMAO !!!! AGAIN ! Great posts ! You guys rock ! I needed some laughs ! Thx :)

Back