• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler SMR Trouble

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I have been a gunsmith and rifle mechanic for more than 30 years. Despite experience, I find that sometimes I have to put the tools down, and look at the gun and think about what to do next, and imagine how all the parts work together. Have patience with your work and with yourself.
The answers will come.
Don't fall in love with ideas (Phils Rule #2) a better understanding will be along if you start with fresh eyes.
Just FYI: Phils Rule #1 Assume Nothing! Phils Rule #0 (ZERO): You'll be Alright if you don't **** up!
Rule #3 There is NO Such Thing as a Bolt-On! Everything requires work!
2 cents.....

I get stumped on all my more involved builds, sometimes on how to correct an error of mine but mostly on one made by the precarve place.

When I start reaching for something that cuts faster, I have learned it is best to walk away and think about it.

A number of times I have woken up in the middle of the night and the answer has popped into my head, pretty strange. I guess one's subconscious computer is always searching for answers.

Same here. My grandsons SMR was hitting WAY high at 25 yards and I was researching a new taller front sight. I couldn’t understand how the factory sight could have been too short to begin with when all I read here says they are purposely high so you can adjust your POI by filing them. I had screwed up the original rear sight and had replaced it with one from TOW since I was making an order there anyway. Then in the middle of the night it hit me, compare the height of the original rear sight to the replacement, and bingo, the replacement is 5/16 higher than the original. I filed it down and now it’s hitting about 4 inches high instead of 8. After the boy has shot it a while and grown a bit more I’ll look to moving the POI further down if needed.

I have an .36 Kibler SMR kit in Cherry that I have been working on for some time. It's 90% complete with nothing buggered up on it. However, there are issues that have confounded me to the point where I've put it aside and it saddens and embarrasses me every time I see it in the corner of my workspace. I have decided to man up, swallow my pride, and get these things fixed. My frustrations have driven me slightly batty.

Is there anyone that I can send this to that can complete this rifle for me?

The wood and metal are finished. I'm a rank amateur but they look pretty good to me.

I am very unhappy with my buttplate fitting and need this corrected. Again, it's not buggered up but I'm afraid of doing any more that may make things worse.

The lock is blued and again looks pretty good to me. It functions perfectly HOWEVER I can't seem to make it work correctly when I mount it on the rifle itself. I have disassembled and reassembled twice and I can't figure this out. My frustration is tremendous.

I need to have the trigger guard and ramrod guides drilled and pinned.

Is there anyone out there that takes on wayward projects like this for a reasonable fee?
Yup go on boob tube and Kibler SMR and all will be good ,my grand kids( helped . )Jim shows you how not to screw up a simple task , I watched many times cause I'm a simple man but Jim shows every step (why he does the video's ) and my fancy walnut 45 SMR got big bucks so I could get the Woods Runner in 54 (again walnut) /Ed

Yup go on boob tube and Kibler SMR and all will be good ,my grand kids( helped . )Jim shows you how not to screw up a simple task , I watched many times cause I'm a simple man but Jim shows every step (why he does the video's ) and my fancy walnut 45 SMR got big bucks so I could get the Woods Runner in 54 (again walnut) /Ed
Thank you, sir, but I've done all of that. I've watched his videos many times, even before I decided to order my kit. Jim's videos are incredibly helpful and he's done us all a great service in making them available to us.

If you reread my original post, I was very clear in asking for a maker/hobbyist to take over the final assembly for me. I have found one and I am very thankful to acavdragoon for his time and generosity.

I get stumped on all my more involved builds, sometimes on how to correct an error of mine but mostly on one made by the precarve place.

When I start reaching for something that cuts faster, I have learned it is best to walk away and think about it.

A number of times I have woken up in the middle of the night and the answer has popped into my head, pretty strange. I guess one's subconscious computer is always searching for answers.
Eric’s response about coming up with an answer has basis in fact. It is important to ask the question in the right way though. Don’t go to bed asking why can’t I …? Your mind will reward you with negative answers in the morning. Instead ask a positive question such how can I make…? Or what do I need to do to fix …?

The mind works while asleep to resolve things for us. Probably why the old adage to sleep on it is true for the most part.

I am "selectively" handy. As far as this project goes the wood and metal finishing were pleasant with good results.

I was never taught the handyman stuff as a young person and I only started to learn that sort of thing as an adult, after sobriety. I enjoy working with my hands but I get too frustrated with myself. I get frustrated with the task at hand then I get frustrated with myself for not being able to figure out the task and this can be a horrible spiral. I have to walk away.

I've slowly learned welding, simple carpentry, and my wife is patiently teaching me to sew with her machine. I'm headed in the right direction.

Thanks to all for their help.
I'm proud of you brother for fighting for your sobriety. That alone tells me you have it in you to do anything you want. No shame in asking for help with something new. If we are honest, most of us are that way at something, where to others it just makes sense. I have to read the directions to boil an egg, but my wife can make a whole meal that tastes good without looking at anything.

I would avoid bending my buttplate and remove the wood that is affecting the fit. You will feel better for it. It just requires a little removal at a time. Use lamp black or a commercially made equivalent to see where the wood is interfering with the plate.

It isn’t hard if you take your time. Your trigger is possibly interfering with the lock. Again use something like lamp black to see which part of the wood is black after a trial assembly. Then you remove a little of that wood. Look at some good drawings to see how the thing should work and when you visualize that it will come together easier.

soooo what ever became of this Rifle? just seen this post and am Curious
Acavdragoon very generously helped me with my issues and I managed to take a couple of squirrels this winter.

I got the rifle to him and he diagnosed my lock issue immediately: I had somehow lost the tumbler in reassembly and had failed to notice. I ordered another from Jim and that was done. He also did a little magic on my buttplate and all was made right again.

Attached is a picture from last fall. The cherry is aging slowly but beautifully. Thanks for your interest!

Attachments

• SMR 092523.jpg
    SMR 092523.jpg
    583.9 KB · Views: 0
Back