• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lehigh Valley lube

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darkhorse

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Wonder lube works good in my .54's but it sure doesn't in my new LC Rice .40. Shooting as little as 30 gr. 3f it fouls bad and causes clinkers to cover my touchhole and neccessitates picking the vent regularly. Even after running a wet patch down the barrel it was still hard to load. Very strange. The slickness just never came back.
When I was cleaning the gun and ran a WD 40 patch down the bore a huge amount of Wonder Lube residue came out. I could hardly pull the patch out and this was after cleaning with water. After that the barrel was slick again.
I have some old Lehigh Valley lube and I decided to try it. I was also using some new patching I got that was a "Sports Twill" and miked about .013" thick.
Using that Lehigh Valley made all the difference in the world. I shot 40 shots today and never once had to swab between shots. It felt and loaded slick every time. I had no clinkers, no flash in the pans, and didn't pick the vent once. The accuracy seemed great, though it shot nearly an inch higher than the Wonder Lube. I was shooting offhand from 25 yards at a 100 yard smallbore rifle target. My first 10 shots I had 6 in the ten ring with 2X and the other 4 in the nine ring. The rest of the day results were similar. Not good enough to win but good enough for someone who's been out of competition for 30 years.
Some of these were stacked pretty good. I'm sure shooting these off the bench would be very satisfying.
After Ox Yoke got the rights they sold the remaining stock and then changed the formula. I'm not sure if mine is the original formula or not. It's around 5 years old. Now the people who developed the formula have the rights again and they are making it the original way.
I think I'll just retire the bore butter stuff and use Lehigh from now on.

If it is a dark pee yeller, look on the back of the bottle & it should say Lestom Labs in fine print on there & if so it is the old stuff. If it was made by Oxjoke it is a light yellow & says Oxjoke in fine print on the back & it takes twice the amount of it to get the same oils & lubricating properties as the original formula did. What a screwup they did..... :youcrazy: Leave it to Oxjoke to screw up something that worked great. :cursing: I quit using it when they changed the formula.

The old stuff is absolutely Fabulous, IMHO. Have not tried the new stuff but supposedly it is back to the Original formula, tho what I saw of it was almost clear in the bottle.

:thumbsup:

I am switching to this lube to from wonder lube. It doese not freeze and has no effect on aging. When hunting I will use a more dry patch and for the range I will just spritz them with the spray bottle until they are good and wet. It is a fantastic lube but I still have to go to the range to try it out. I am hoping a dryer patch will shoot the same as a wet patch. I am sure it will but I will have to see at the range.

I put a wonderlube patch and a Lehigh patch in the Freezer for a few hours. The wonderlube got really stiff and the Lehigh was still normal just cold feeling.

I put the Lehigh in the chest freezer checking it against a couple other lubes, it didn't freeze but it did separate in the bottle.
So if you are hunting in Zero weather, you best have it on the Inside of your coat. :hmm:

I just pre-lube patches and keep them in a Skoal can from my dad. I will probably use the loading block for hunting.

Back