• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got a flintlock. It’s a Traditions Firearms Deluxe Kentucky Rifle .50 cal. Wish I had more moolah to buy a fancier one, or build a kit; but am on a fixed income and 77 y.o., so…. Anyway I got it, and after my cancer operation, gonna head to the range with it.
Good for you go have fun.

Finally got a flintlock. It’s a Traditions Firearms Deluxe Kentucky Rifle .50 cal. Wish I had more moolah to buy a fancier one, or build a kit; but am on a fixed income and 77 y.o., so…. Anyway I got it, and after my cancer operation, gonna head to the range with it.
will be praying for successful operation. both medical and at the range.

Found this rock in the garden. There might be something good in it🤞

12F02BA0-DC8E-4EAC-85F4-A9EB61CB8186.jpeg
548933D2-953C-458E-A4F0-7EB4D10C940D.jpeg

Re thinking the conversion of the L&R set trigger for the CVA Frontier. A final check of the possible problems showed that the trigger bow is not deep enough to accommodate the L&R trigger set.

So, Now I'm back to considering the solution offered by @Winterhawk involving stripping the frontier set trigger down and leave just the front trigger but move it back closer to the sear arm. Of course the front trigger works well as it is although a bit heavy. Moving it back will lighten the pull and place the trigger in a better position.

Now trying to calculate the best place to drill. Only get one shot at it.
I drilled mine 1/4" back, maybe a tad bit more. It did lighten up the trigger pull (but polishing the innards of the lock had made a big difference already), and it gives more room for my finger in the trigger guard. Of course, I had already swapped that out for a Leman....

~WH~

Worked on securing lock plate by drilling the 1/16 " pilot hole through rear bolster (centered exactly), and the stock. Drilled the clearance hole through tang. Did not finish, because I am waiting for some machine screws for the front. It is going to be a real problem with that location up front, because the mostly precut mortise was and is too low. And there is scarce room to locate the hole. I'm thinking of filing down 8-32" bolt to diameter of 5-40 and running it through a die. That would leave a big head like the rear's and a chance a tapered ram rod might clear the front screw. The next day: Drilled a tiny hole through forward lock plate and stock. Now, here it is Monday, 29 Apr '24, and I have placed several orders for upgraded CAST brass parts: muzzle cap (grooved), entry pipe, 2 thimbles, side plate.

Last edited:
Good for you! None of us are getting any younger. Grab that flintlock and have fun with it. They are absolutely the most pleasant and relaxed way to spend the day outdoors. Best wishes for recovery after your operation, been there, done that. Godspeed to you and have fun with your muzzleloader.

Good for you! None of us are getting any younger. Grab that flintlock and have fun with it. They are absolutely the most pleasant and relaxed way to spend the day outdoors. Best wishes for recovery after your operation, been there, done that. Godspeed to you and have fun with your muzzleloader.
Thank you kindly, for the good words and thoughts.

Finished (hand) cutting rear sight dovetail on my Traditions St. Louis Hawken, re-browned the barrel, and put another coat of Danish Oil on the stock. Now only have to Blue the new TOW sight and finish putting it back together.

Fashioned a spring from music wire for the Cva set trigger. That and remodeling the rear trigger has it at fully functional. This really wasn't worth the time, effort and $$ but I get obsessive about these kinds of things. Give up in frustration and then find myself standing over it trying again.

Not sure about longevity but.........

20240428_110726_copy_640x280.jpg

Latest posts

Back