• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Loss of accuracy…

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just wondering have any of you experienced a loss of accuracy as you shoot? First 5 or so shots are pretty good then things start to go everywhich way? I have that happen with a particular gun, now I have to remove some rust from the chamber and I’ll be doing that here probably tonight and this week but I will shoot 5 good shots and I clean between shots and no matter what I do after that consistency goes out the window. Iv changed lube, patches, different charges etc.. Like I said I’m going to take care of the rust in the chamber but just wondering if anyone else has experienced this

Get a new nipple.
Really?? It could be that? I don’t normally shoot percussion guns all my guns but two are flint. I’m not arguing with this just want to make sure I learn this and know why! I do clean it every time and it isn’t old at all still new actually, so a nipple could be that big of an issue then

It’s not uncommon to have groups grow as the number of shots increases. Don’t blame the gun first, the shooter can become fatigued and if he steps away for a bit then resumes many find the groups close back up. For myself this has become very clear as nature continues to work against me.

What rifle do you have? Without any further knowledge of the rifle, all we can do is make suggestions that may not apply to your rifle.

Another possibility is that as the barrel heats up from the firing of 5 shots, it expands in length. The under lugs holding the stock pins are probably not elongated, and enough stress is put on the barrel to throw off accuracy.

Last edited:
What rifle do you have? Without any furthr knowledge of the rifle all we can do is make suggestions that may not applt to your rifle.

Another possibility is that as the barrel heats up from the firing of 5 shots, it expands in length. The under lugs holding the stock pins are probably not elongated and ehough stress is put on the barrel to throw off accuracy.
It’s a traditions Crockett, these guns are normally tack drivers. And this one will do that but it also jumps around. The other day when it warmed up and I was shooting I know that my lube got way to wet snd lost it’s firmness and I was all over the paper. So today I switched patch lube and started off great but then it started over again jumping all around

Remove your underlug pins, hold the barrel in the stock with duct tape. See if things improve. Try the new nipple, it’s one of the easiest things to change first. Try a wool wad or a measure of cream of wheat over the powder charge and see if that helps. Get a person who is a good shot to fire your rifle and see if the problem is you. No offense intended.

Remove your underlug pins, hold the barrel in the stock with duct tape. See if things improve. Try the new nipple, it’s one of the easiest things to change first. Try a wool wad or a measure of cream of wheat over the powder charge and see if that helps. Get a person who is a good shot to fire your rifle and see if the problem is you. No offense intended.
No none taken! I did try the cream of wheat and a tighter patch, and maybe I would get two to touch then the fliers would come. I will definitely check the underlug again but I know it was tight the last time I checked. But things Can change so i will check that as well! As far as nipples I just ordered some of totw so we will see if this helps with improvement. Flints are easy they either spark or they don’t you can see that, percussion is definitely different bc if it is the nipple looks can be deceiving bc this one is new

Are your sights loose in the dovetail cuts? I had this problem with a 22 and it drove me insane until I saw the problem. I think the problem is either the nipple or the way of fastening the barrel to the stock. Are you using real black powder or pyrodex or triple 7?

@lbothell, I think your under lug holes need to be slotted or elongated parallel to the barrel. Your barrel warms up and expands in length. That puts stress on the stock and the barrel. It doesn't take much effort to run a few passes with a needle file to allow for expansion while shooting. Make sure that all the dovetailed lugs and signs are secure.

Are you getting a build up of fouling? That can cause a loss of accuracy as the fouling fills the grooves.

If it was the nipple, you wouldn't start out with good accuracy that would deteriorate after five shots. Inconsistencies with a bad nipple don't get better after cleaning and cooling off.

@lbothell, I think your under lug holes need to be slotted or elongated parallel to the barrel. Your barrel warms up and expands in length. That puts stress on the stock and the barrel. It doesn't take much effort to run a few passes with a needle file to allow for expansion while shooting. Make sure that all the dovetailed lugs and signs are secure.

Are you getting a build up of fouling? That can cause a loss of accuracy as the fouling fills the grooves.

If it was the nipple, you wouldn't start out with good accuracy that would deteriorate after five shots. Inconsistencies with a bad nipple don't get better after cleaning and cooling off.
I am using real black powder, don’t think Iv never even shot anything but unless someone handed me a gun to shoot and I didn’t know it wasn’t real BP. The lugs and the rust in the chamber are my next two things to tackle. So for the lugs I’m going to want to file the dovetail some to “loosen” them just a little so they can expand correct? Or did I read that wrong? Sorry if I did I’m not going to mess with that till I hear back from you.

I am using real black powder, don’t think Iv never even shot anything but unless someone handed me a gun to shoot and I didn’t know it wasn’t real BP. The lugs and the rust in the chamber are my next two things to tackle. So for the lugs I’m going to want to file the dovetail some to “loosen” them just a little so they can expand correct? Or did I read that wrong? Sorry if I did I’m not going to mess with that till I hear back from you.
You want the alter the hole in the underlugs from a drilled hole to being a slightly elongated slot that allows the barrel as it expands from the heat of firing over the pin in the stock. The dovetails for the underlugs do not need to be loosened but secure and solid in their place. The sights need to be secure and not capable of slight movements when the rifle is fired.

Yes, I too was going to suggest to make ovals of the lug holes, especially the one near the muzzle.

With paste lubes, e.g., Bore Butter or Wonder Lube, I've seen too much lube strip the rifle of its inherent accuraxy, where more is NOT better!

And possibly related, try a thicker patch. On a colder barrel what you were using might be 'OK', but as it heats up it's a tad loose and it slides down the barrel instead of engaging the rifling. That's also what happens when too much paste lube is used ...

Just wondering have any of you experienced a loss of accuracy as you shoot? First 5 or so shots are pretty good then things start to go everywhich way? I have that happen with a particular gun, now I have to remove some rust from the chamber and I’ll be doing that here probably tonight and this week but I will shoot 5 good shots and I clean between shots and no matter what I do after that consistency goes out the window. Iv changed lube, patches, different charges etc.. Like I said I’m going to take care of the rust in the chamber but just wondering if anyone else has experienced this
Yeah, it's called fatigue in my case. Usually sets in after about fifteen to twenty shots.

Lube is so important and my tests have shown many fail fast. I use Young country and my friend uses mink oil, both work fine. I have shot over 200 shots without wiping without an accuracy loss. My guess is fouling is filling the grooves.
I can'r see a nipple changing as you shoot. Bore butter and such left my gear long ago.

Back in the day I was a crack shot with my Hawken, won a lot of turkey shoots, could make small target distance shots that amazed. Haven’t shot it in years. Too dam heavy to hold on target for any time these days.
Now i shoot BP pistols. And these take two hands, one handed it wanders.
We ain’t getting any younger.

Latest posts

Back