• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Home Depot patch lube

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IronHand

40 Cal
Reaction score
I was in the local HD looking for a wood finish and ran across this stuff.

20231202_203625.jpg

It is just Beeswax and mineral oil. I thought it might make a good patch lube, so I put it on some patches and hung them up to dry. After about one hour they have a slick feeling to them (like Wonder Wads). I am going to leave them hanging overnight to see if they dry more.

If this works it will be a handy source for patch lube.

IronHand

FYI, after 12 hours hanging the material feels waxy, not moist. Much like wax paper.

The wax appears to be evenly distributed. I suspect that this is because the solution has a high viscosity and is retained by the weave of the substrate.

IronHand

FYI, after 12 hours hanging the material feels waxy, not moist. Much like wax paper.

The wax appears to be evenly distributed. I suspect that this is because the solution has a high viscosity and is retained by the weave of the substrate.

IronHand
With the first batch of testing no big worries. As you do further refinements and think this is the lube of all lubes just lay it out. It may feel that the distribution is equal but it may not be. Just takes a potential variable out when this batch runs out. If it matters Mr. Schultz recommended this when you are load testing for accuracy. So this writer is just plagerising.

He recommends doing this for all lube mixes for consistency......

Spit, Windex, Dawn, whale oil, mineral oil, bear grease, Beezle Nut Oil, etc., etc. It would seem to me that ANY liquid or semi-solid/viscous liquid works. Literally anything you put on your patches will shoot, and since it's pretty hard to actually blow up a ML people try anything and everything.

I

Start one on patch material. I only use Truffula Tufts. Best patches South of the Klondike.

Latest posts

Back