• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First test target with a new lube

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frontier's

Buckskins & Black Powder
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
A wonderful day at the range!

50 yards

Traditions St.louis Hawken .54
70gr 3fg Gearhart-owen
.530 cast balls
.020" patches

No swabbing between shots!

I was testing a new range lube, a mixture of Birchwood Casey No.77 bore cleaner and Ballistol.

Once I buy more supplies, I'll take measurements and post that so you can make it and try it out.

This is not a hunting lube!!

5 shot group. Shot #2 really saddened
me after I took the rest of the shots lol.
1000006915.jpg

1000006922.jpg

Nice shooting!

FWIW another good, liquid “shoot all day without swabbing lube” is the Hoppe’s black powder gun bore cleaner and patch lube. Note some newer bottles don’t say ‘patch lube’ on it, but it is the same number 999 product, as I confirm this with Hoppe’s.

1711195119305.jpeg

A wonderful day at the range!

50 yards

Traditions St.louis Hawken .54
70gr 3fg Gearhart-owen
.530 cast balls
.020" patches

No swabbing between shots!

I was testing a new range lube, a mixture of Birchwood Casey No.77 bore cleaner and Ballistol.

Once I buy more supplies, I'll take measurements and post that so you can make it and try it out.

This is not a hunting lube!!

5 shot group. Shot #2 really saddened
me after I took the rest of the shots lol.
View attachment 306154
View attachment 306155
Nice shooting and rifle. I'd like to see a full pic of the rifle:) is it not a hunting lube because the Casey's will harden up in the colder temps?

Nice shooting!

FWIW another good, liquid “shoot all day without swabbing lube” is the Hoppe’s black powder gun bore cleaner and patch lube. Note some newer bottles don’t say ‘patch lube’ on it, but it is the same number 999 product, as I confirm this with Hoppe’s.

View attachment 306235
I tried that years ago and didn't like it.

I was using the #9 Hoppes that says solvent & patch lube when I tested the Charlie Caywood SMR flintlock and had to wipe a lot of fouling out of the bore after 5 shots as loading became hard. So I really don't like it, I'll stick with Stumpy's formula. Works like a charm for me.

1part Murphy’s Oil Soap
2parts rubbing alcohol
2parts peroxide

Latest posts

Back