• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Laurel Mountain Forge Stain Color Question…

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tenring

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Do any of you guys have a picture of your Rifle build that used the following Stain colors, “Lancaster Maple”, “Maple”, “Nut Brown”. Now Laurel Mountain Forge is saying Nut Brown is beneficial for rifles with less figure. I have never used any of there products before on any of my other builds and really nothing to go by but a small picture of what the color may look like. So I figured someone on here would have a pic of their build with these colors . Thank you in advance for your trouble posting any pics.

Let me see if I can find my pics of this gun.
This is nut brown thinned with about 50%
de natured alcohol. I used it on another gun same bottle and was different. The walnut is nice not super dark and can rub it back liter and no reddish tent.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230623_203008_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230623_203008_Gallery.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230623_202758_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230623_202758_Gallery.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230623_202838_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230623_202838_Chrome.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Ten,
Each piece of wood will come out different, due to a whole list of things.
LMF shows maple with each stain on its site, nut your mileage will vary.
It will show the basic tint of each color though.
Hope that helps.

As with many Stains it’s nice that you can cut them 50/50 to achieve what your looking for, so far the Rifle post that are being showed are fantastic and how each piece will take it differently .

I used 3 Laurel Mountain Stains on these 3 guns. They are getting worn a bit now and I may re-stain them at some point. Top gun is Maple, middle gun is Honey Maple, bottom gun is Lancaster Maple. I only used two coats on each straight from the bottle. I probably will use more coats next time as they got lighter over the years. Perhaps a little more Stock Oil Finish would bring back more color.

Attachments

• IMG_3065.JPG
    IMG_3065.JPG
    297.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Thank you VAN for sharing these pictures, this gives me what I have been looking for with the Lancaster Maple, I think with the Aqua Fortis then sanded back and then the LM with four or five coats of Tried and True will give me that Orangey tiger maple stripe I have been looking at for this build. Thanks..

Thank you VAN for sharing these pictures, this gives me what I have been looking for with the Lancaster Maple, I think with the Aqua Fortis then sanded back and then the LM with four or five coats of Tried and True will give me that Orangey tiger maple stripe I have been looking at for this build. Thanks..
Any pics of the finished product?

We have been taking care of my mother who just turned 80 and it’s been requiring our full attention. But there is a ray of sunshine soon I will be able to complete and finish up the Kibler kit thank goodness . And I will post some pics.

Here is Nut Brown on a beech stock. It has a definite red tone and I think I could have used a little more brown in it. Good rifle, though.

Attachments

• 20210214_202138.jpg
    20210214_202138.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210214_202142.jpg
    20210214_202142.jpg
  • 20210214_202147.jpg
    20210214_202147.jpg
I used one layer of thier maple with multiple layers of diluted nut brown over it.

Attachments

• IMG_0548.jpeg
    IMG_0548.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0544.jpeg
    IMG_0544.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0545.jpeg
    IMG_0545.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Back