• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler has announced a Hawken Kit in the works.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With the Crunch of the Percussion Cap Epidemic , but real quick let’s get something out of the way first I my self and a lot of others here on many BP forums are pretty stocked with caps and really don’t have any concerns but for every other guy and gal that didn’t stock up when the getting was good I wonder if this was a good decision to build a cap lock model for the masses, I certainly could be wrong but just wanted to put that out there. But then again it’s not like a revolver where you need six caps with a rifle only one but a hundred round tin goes pretty quick as all of us know.

I agree, how much does one of those machines cost? Then he has to pay an operator. Semper Fi.
I paid about $30,000 for one a while ago. Just the welder. It was not any kind of automated setup. Laser welder can do some amazing things, but its uses really are quite limited. It would certainly not be my first choice for barrel ribs or ramrod pipes. Solder, rivets, screws would be the way to go.

Seems to be a flurry of excitement regarding Hawken Rifles…again.

In the beginning (1910s or so) a Horace Kephart fellow happened upon a 40 year old “new” Hawken rifle, tested it, wrote about its magical trajectories…everyone here should know the belabored details.

50 years or so later upstarts the Hawken parade;

Green River Rifle Works….Hawken Rifles (I have the two I bought then)
Bill Large Hawken Rifles
Thomson Center Hawken Rifles
Navy Arms Hawken
Investment Arms Hawkens
CVA Hawken
Cabela’s Hawken
Traditions Hawken
Sharon Hawken
Western Arms Hawken
Mountain Arms Hawken
Mowry Hawkens
J. Moses Browning Hawken
The Lyman Great Plains (Hawken)
Gemmer Hawken
Pedroseli Hawken
The Hawken Shop Hawken
and about 4 other Spanish, Italian and Turkish made Hawkens Rifles…

and….finally a Jim Kibler Hawken…

That should bring everyone together for a tender Kum-by-ya moment here on the forum.

Last edited:
Some guys would have to work a long time to save $600 today. Yet, they still own a Hawken.

If it was 1830 i'd be working as a hunter in a brigade and supplying meat to a fort too. Not sure what that would earn me. However, no matter how long it took. I would have bought a Hawken. It would have my tool to earn more money.
A buck skin+ 1$ or a buck at that time , or about what a teen ager got for most work when I was a kid.
However at that time you could pretty much fill a large car trunk with groceries for $20 from meat to milk and all in between .
Unfortunately ,just like now inflation was a problem.
Iworked for SP railroad mid 50s an take home pay was right at $80 twice a month.
Fast food and entry level jobs are now pay now very close to what I earned in1999 at retirement as a skilled crane operator with 35 years in the trade.

Regarding guns:
if you know how many you have, you don’t have enough
Enough; (as applied to gun ownership) …a psychological “buzz” word used by tyrannical spouses and governments to limit an individual’s enjoyment of life, liberty and their personal pursuit of happiness…communist ideals dictate the wants and needs of the individual…
Never comply …and don’t marry a tyrant.

If Jim can machine barrel lugs from a round barrel blank why couldn’t he machine the rib integral to the barrel? Still have to add thimbles. Maybe with screw as there would be more material available?

Latest posts

Back