• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler has announced a Hawken Kit in the works.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With the speculation as to the Hawken rifle and form....I think we can rest assured Kibler ...when he states "Hawken"....will be creating his rifle closely based on an actual Hawken shop rifle....not another 1/2 stock look alike...be it Lehman, etc. That still gives him quite a bit of lee way as to just which rifle he will creat.

" I wish he would do a lighter half-stock percussion instead, like maybe a slimmer Vincent or even some sort of slim Lehman. I picked up an original Vincent that was nose heavy, but still light and handy enough, and MUCH lighter than some of those mortar-barreled Hawkens"

Yes, I agree, but then would it be a "Hawken" and how much would the Hawken fans complain.
The Sam Hawken shop did make a percussion “squirrel rifle” for the local St. Louis trade. It was in the .36 to .40 caliber range, ~34” slim straight barrel, walnut (usually) half stock, brass furniture and a poured pewter nose cap. There is one on display at the JM Davis museum in Claremore, OK and there were at least two originals on display at the Hawken Classic. I don’t recall if these were produced by Sam Hawken, or when Gemmer owned the shop.

He has never said he's going to make a trade gun. :doh:
He was working on a English Wilson fowling gun as depicted on pp. 53-56 of the book Of Sorts for Provincials American Weapons of the French and Indian War by Jim Mullins. Perhaps the water serpent/ dragon side plate has added to the confusion over the nature of the next Kiblers release.

Maybe Jim will get ahold of an early J&S Hawken to copy. They were slimmer but probably the same caliber. As far as calling them Hawkins or Harkins my late friend had a penchant for mispronouncing just about everything. He'd go to Walmark to pick up some Tydenall and a case of Strobes Light.

Well, I was surprised to read it, but it’s what a lot of folks have been asking for. Jim posted on the ALR forum that he’s looking to buy or borrow an original Hawken for measurements and study in preparation for the new kit. And, he says it will be a half stock percussion. No time line was mentioned.
III WANT ONEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

Well, I heard from a random guy at the local gun store who had a friend from North Carolina who had a buddy who had a pal go near Hanoverton, Ohio once that Jim Kibler was going to make a 9-barrel Nock Gun in .75 caliber with 80 inch barrels for goose hunting, but only sell in India.

The Doc is out now. :cool:

Well, I was surprised to read it, but it’s what a lot of folks have been asking for. Jim posted on the ALR forum that he’s looking to buy or borrow an original Hawken for measurements and study in preparation for the new kit. And, he says it will be a half stock percussion. No time line was mentioned.
The muzzleloading world is ready!

The muzzleloading world is ready!
Indeed. The new percussion cap ignition system has become increasingly popular and I fully expect Kibler & Co. will satisfy the demand for the surety of fire it affords. As well, the Maynard system of tape priming holds promise and should be an option for the company's newly announced rifle.

Latest posts

Back