• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler has announced a Hawken Kit in the works.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are all so lucky, I even went Yellowhammer hunting as a youngin. They roosted in the tobacco barns so one would shine the light at the hole from the outside and the other would climb up the tier poles from the inside to catch him. That must be how you got your name.

Had mine for 20 years. I wear a tight hernia belt. I don't want to be cut on by anymore doctors. I have horror stories from past doctors.

Had mine for 20 years. I wear a tight hernia belt. I don't want to be cut on by anymore doctors. I have horror stories from past doctors.
Look into laparoscopic surgery - no cutting - I was back at it in 3 days?

Back on the Kibler Hawken - I wish he would do a lighter half-stock percussion instead, like maybe a slimmer Vincent or even some sort of slim Lehman. I picked up an original Vincent that was nose heavy, but still light and handy enough, and MUCH lighter than some of those mortar-barreled Hawkens.

Last edited:
Look into laparoscopic surgery - no cutting - I was back at it in 3 days?

Back on the Kibler Hawken - I wish he would do a lighter half-stock percussion instead, like maybe a slimmer Vincent or even some sort of slim Lehman. I picked up an original Vincent that was nose heavy, but still light and handy enough, and MUCH lighter than some of those mortar-barreled Hawkens.
" I wish he would do a lighter half-stock percussion instead, like maybe a slimmer Vincent or even some sort of slim Lehman. I picked up an original Vincent that was nose heavy, but still light and handy enough, and MUCH lighter than some of those mortar-barreled Hawkens"

Yes, I agree, but then would it be a "Hawken" and how much would the Hawken fans complain.

Man a bunch of folks here like to swing their purses

LOL

seing.jpg

In Limon, Colorado, out on the Eastern Plains, they have a statue of a frontiersman. He carries a double barrel shotgun. One loaded with a slug or buckshot for large game, the other with birdshot for small game/birds. Just my two cents worth!

You are absolutely right, but the error was first made a long time ago. I like to read the frontier travel literature that was written in the 19th century, and you see "Hawkins" all the time in reference to these rifles. In fact, I don't recall ever reading "Hawken" in the period literature. The fascination with and loyalty to these rifles is nothing new, either. This is from Captain Randolph B. Marcy's The Prairie Traveler (p. 22), first published in 1863:

View attachment 262807

I don't know when the Hawken brothers started stamping their name on their rifles, but I think they were doing it by the 1830's, anyway. A lot of the people who wrote their memoirs back then were very literate fellows. Surely they could have simply read the name stamped on the barrels of the mountainers' rifles, but they called the rifles and their makers "Hawkins" anyway. That usage was so common, I sometimes think they applied the "Hawkins" moniker to any rifle that even looked like one, sort of like some folks call all blue jeans "Levis," or all tissues "Kleenex." I remember many years ago reading an article in one of my dad's gun magazines, in which the writer stated something like "Kit Carson's Hawken was made by Benjamin Mills of Harrisburg, Kentucky." Even then, I knew it was wrong. Not too long ago, one of the big gun auction websites had a "Pedersoli Tryon Hawken" for sale. The beat goes on.

Notchy Bob
Hate to rain on your parade, or piddle on your Froot Loops but it was Hachen when granddaddy Wolfgang Hachen came to ‘merika and spawned a bunch of lousy spellers.

It seems my grand parents talked of making a dollar a day in the 30s, so I would assume wages were half tha a hundred years before. Not that it makes any difference.
There was an old man that worked for my Father. I remember him often saying “a dollar a day, a hundred days, a hundred dollars.” Back then he was pretty close to the mark.

Back