• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kentucky pistol carry

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's one I made. I based it upon an image I saw of a double cavalry holster. It's basically a leather bucket which does cover and protect the hammer/frizzen, and can be carried on either side (the space required for the trigger guard is roughly equivalent to the space for the lock mechanism).

The back has a 2-way loop, allowing it to hang on either a belt or a vertical strap (I often put it on the strap of my shooting bag).

1705063209336.png

I have an old English dueling pistol, stock was pieced back together but it's functional with a nice smooth .60 barrel. I carry it elk hunting, with 30 grains 3F and 1/2 oz #8 shot, like Longhunter1776 says. It's taken two grouse that way. But you need it handy.
So, I found that a rather soft Slim Jim style of cross-draw holster (meant for percussion revolvers but honestly too soft for quick draw). With a soaking in rubbing alcohol to make leather temporarily soft, it quickly stretched to fit the Kentucky pistol perfectly. I can even catch the edge of the holster under the hammer as a safety.
I wear it cross-draw on the left side, on a separate gun belt outside my hunting coat (not the trouser belt - too much extra bulk and weight there). The hunting pouch for my rifle goes on the right, whether it's a shoulder bag or just a little belt bag with tools, priming and a few speedloaders.
I suppose you can hang a hatchet on it too, but too much is cumbersome. Stuff like butchering tools, meat bags, hatchet, snack food, etc. don't get used every minute or two, so they can all ride in a day pack.

I made this shoulder holster for my pistol, works good, can put it over your coat or not! Lays on my left side.
VERY Nice work Hatman !!! And very authentic looking. Looks very Colonial-ish. The holster itself shaped much like the saddle holsters (the proper name escapes me at the moment) of the day.

Rick

Here's one I made. I based it upon an image I saw of a double cavalry holster. It's basically a leather bucket which does cover and protect the hammer/frizzen, and can be carried on either side (the space required for the trigger guard is roughly equivalent to the space for the lock mechanism).

The back has a 2-way loop, allowing it to hang on either a belt or a vertical strap (I often put it on the strap of my shooting bag).

View attachment 284716
"Bucket". That's the word I was trying to pull from my brain. Nice work David. Both authentic looking and versatile.

Rick

Found some period illustrations of pirates carrying pistols.

View attachment 284501View attachment 284502View attachment 284503

Looks like bandolier holsters or stuck in the sash /belt were the preferred methods.

IronHand
I once tried this years ago. The belt clips seem to work OK for the lighter, Kentucky sized pistols. But for the larger, heavier, long-barreled pistols like Long Land Pistol, they tend to wiggle around on you belt. So I then put the pistol with the clip on the belt as usual. But this time I wrapped a sash around my waist which also covered the outside of the pistol. The combination of the two held firm.

Back in the 70's at a Rendezvous I noticed a guy with what looked like a wide 3" belt carrying a slim pistol with a belt hook. Pistol looked like an original. What he did to carry was to cut a slot on the left side of the belt, reinforced with extra stitching. The clip went to the back of the belt as usual. The pistol itself went into the slot allowing leather on both sides. Pretty clever for a slim pistol. He said it held firm.

Just some more ideas.

Rick

Last edited:
Here is another idea. Although probably a bit of over-kill for what the OP has in mind. This bucket was made from an idea I had. It is primarily made to carry one of the large, long, heavy wheellock military style pistols of the day. But could be used to carry any large size pistol of similar proportions. These big pistols were normally carried in pommel style buckets mounted on the horse saddle. But the pistols are too large for any type of reasonable foot carry around the waist. So I had the idea of making a bucket-style holster with an adjustable strap to carry like a rifle with a sling. Or more like a sword with a baldric, to distribute the weight more evenly across the torso. Anyway, just another idea. The weather flap and interior of the bucket are lined with genuine black bear fur.

Rick

DSC00232 (Medium).JPG
DSC00233 (Medium).JPG
DSC00234 (Medium).JPG
DSC00240 (Medium).JPG
DSC00241 (Medium).JPG

EDIT: Woops. I partially mis-spoke. The flap is covered in genuine black bear fur. The interior is lined with genuine lamb fur dyed black.

Last edited:
How was a single shot pistol traditionally carried? I want to make a holster that makes sense. Thanks in advance for any reply
Large holster pistols in pommel buckets for a saddle, small ones in the pocket. You see many pistols in pairs sur to their use and as the barrels were made together as one piece, breeches to the ends.

Interesting that in the Ottoman part of the World, they preferred to carry their pair of pistols in a twin holster slung over the shoulder versus mounted on the saddle. Like a sword baldric. Just another idea.

Rick

DSC00507 (Medium).JPG

Bucket and Pommel holsters to go HC.
As mentioned; many would carry a 'Brace of Pistol' (two pistols). Some would simply tie them together with cord or silk string. There is a museum somewhere with an actual Brace of pistol (two) and what remains of the silk cord, they just slung them over their neck; easy to put on, easy to take off.

Now Hunters and Trappers; you really can't 'easily' carry a large pistol so they were put in a bucket or Pommel holster and carried on you horse or pack horse.
There is no easy, comfortable, or practical way to carry one or two pistols while you trek for miles or work your trap lines.
In town or at Rendezvous you would just tuck one in your belt if you felt need to carry it around...it was your Rifle that you held onto and your first 'go-to'.

I do like that shoulder bucket!
And of course Black Beard carried a Lot...also a Lot of weight..and he didn't much trek in the woods, for miles at a time, checking trap lines, or all day at Rendezvous.

Objective with pistols is to just keep it nearby, keep it handy...carrying on your person, back when, not so much unless just a small pocket pistol.

Latest posts

Back