• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Walker holster ideas

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been chewing on this some and believe that as the Walker was never designed to be a belt pistol but rather a saddle gun (horse pistol) then the only practical way to carry it on ones person is to make a bandoleer style, cross draw with the belt as a tether and the bandoleer cross chest strap as the weight bearer .
This configuration could easily be adapted to saddle carry I would think with little effort.
I'm wondering if a removable flap might not also be a worth while accessory for a hand gun hunter.
Perhaps a large man could even wear it in a shoulder holster configuration with added comfort as few guns are any bigger than these with the 9 inch barrel , extra long cylinder and five pounds of heft to lug around and hang down against ones leg. Kicking around some ideas.

Back 40+ years ago, I acquired a Walker. I knew they were designed as a horse pistol, but being a large man, I had a local leathersmith make me a military style belt holster. Obviously, this means it came with a flap. I still have the gun and holster, but rarely wear it any more.

Back 40+ years ago, I acquired a Walker. I knew they were designed as a horse pistol, but being a large man, I had a local leathersmith make me a military style belt holster. Obviously, this means it came with a flap. I still have the gun and holster, but rarely wear it any more.
Can you carry the gun in your holster with comfort for extended periods ?
I'm really getting out there in the Ozone with the idea of perhaps a quiver style holster carried high on the back over the upper left shoulder for a right hand-er and reverse for south paw.
I used to carry my XP -100 Rem Fireball under my arm with a shooting sling and no holster at all it was so long but the Walker being and open frame revolver wouldn't work that way very well me thinks.

Last edited:
I think this would be a perfect excuse for a "Sam Browne" belt across the chest and attaching to the main belt near the holster to spread and stabilize the load. General Browne came up with this design after having his left arm severed at the shoulder by a sepoy's cutlass during the Rebellion of 1857. Damn, these Brits were tough.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Browne

Last edited:
I've been chewing on this some and believe that as the Walker was never designed to be a belt pistol but rather a saddle gun (horse pistol) then the only practical way to carry it on ones person is to make a bandoleer style, cross draw with the belt as a tether and the bandoleer cross chest strap as the weight bearer .
This configuration could easily be adapted to saddle carry I would think with little effort.
I'm wondering if a removable flap might not also be a worth while accessory for a hand gun hunter.
Perhaps a large man could even wear it in a shoulder holster configuration with added comfort as few guns are any bigger than these with the 9 inch barrel , extra long cylinder and five pounds of heft to lug around and hang down against ones leg. Kicking around some ideas.
You are right! They are simply too heavy for use as a belt gun. Except for Josie Wales, of course!!

FWIW I've used a pair of both Dragoons and Walkers at Cowboy Matches. Of course its not as comfortable as a pair of SAA's, but I've had the most luck with cinching things down with a nice tight gunbelt. So I wear that rig for maybe 7-8 hrs. and I'm happy to take it off at the end of the day, but I'm no Spring Chicken at 70 years old.

You may want to buy another one

[\\MEDIA=youtube]7YJuSbN7ccs[/MEDIA]
Thanks for the video. I've made some holsters myself and like his work but don't care for exposed muzzle leather. I can always seem to find a way to jamb dirt into the end of the barrel when out and about in the sticks.
I'm a short stocky man of 5'-6" and will need a cross strap bandoleer and waste belt to make it work for me.
FWIW I've used a pair of both Dragoons and Walkers at Cowboy Matches. Of course its not as comfortable as a pair of SAA's, but I've had the most luck with cinching things down with a nice tight gunbelt. So I wear that rig for maybe 7-8 hrs. and I'm happy to take it off at the end of the day, but I'm no Spring Chicken at 70 years old.
I'd sure hate to try and swim out of deep water with 10 pounds of iron on my hips. I guess the thing to do in that case is get a good gulp of air, head for the bottom and try and walk out ! 😄

I make my Walker/Dragoon holsters just like the rest. I also carry them just like the rest. I don't know why people make a big deal out of it. Use a wide, heavy gun belt and they carry just fine.

002b_8.jpg

I carry two thrid model dragoons all day in a cross draw holster at out events and I am 70 years old !Never had no issues,,on them ,,use a wide belt i make holsters so i use the early slim jim styles in fact even on my 186os as well ,there is no problem useing a belt across your chest stuff thats dumb to begin with or something on your back!!How di the people long ago use them?? they carried on their waists wide belts,,sometimes this stuff is so self explainable it hurts to read it!

Can you carry the gun in your holster with comfort for extended periods ?
I'm really getting out there in the Ozone with the idea of perhaps a quiver style holster carried high on the back over the upper left shoulder for a right hand-er and reverse for south paw.
I used to carry my XP -100 Rem Fireball under my arm with a shooting sling and no holster at all it was so long but the Walker being and open frame revolver wouldn't work that way very well me thinks.
Reminds me of my experience many years back, when as a middle aged newly minted SASS Cowboy Action Shooter, I fantasized about strutting around with my also newly minted CAS rig. Turns out after several hours in 102 degree South Texas sun, my fantasy of toting 2, .45 Ruger Vaqueros, fully loaded, on a heavy leather concho decorated double rig with 20 bullet loops, also loaded, suddenly turned into reality. I had totally failed to add up all of that weight, strapped around a "Daddy" girth for 3 hours. At a break in the match, it was time for a pit stop, I removed the gun belt and put it in my cart, only to be taken out when my time to shoot a stage came about! The drive back home was filled with mental notes of scenes of Roy and Gene and Rowdy Yates packing guns all day, on and off a horse, drinking whiskey or sarsaparilla, driving cattle, singing around the campfire, be drowned out by the ring of fire around my waist and hips, for the next 75 miles! I also I then remember the older waddies in the posse give me that knowing look, with kind of a smirk, when I divested myself of my 35 pound fantasy!

Reminds me of my experience many years back, when as a middle aged newly minted SASS Cowboy Action Shooter, I fantasized about strutting around with my also newly minted CAS rig. Turns out after several hours in 102 degree South Texas sun, my fantasy of toting 2, .45 Ruger Vaqueros, fully loaded, on a heavy leather concho decorated double rig with 20 bullet loops, also loaded, suddenly turned into reality. I had totally failed to add up all of that weight, strapped around a "Daddy" girth for 3 hours. At a break in the match, it was time for a pit stop, I removed the gun belt and put it in my cart, only to be taken out when my time to shoot a stage came about! The drive back home was filled with mental notes of scenes of Roy and Gene and Rowdy Yates packing guns all day, on and off a horse, drinking whiskey or sarsaparilla, driving cattle, singing around the campfire, be drowned out by the ring of fire around my waist and hips, for the next 75 miles! I also I then remember the older waddies in the posse give me that knowing look, with kind of a smirk, when I divested myself of my 35 pound fantasy!
I could be wrong but I seriously doubt that most of the 11-1200 original Walkers were ever carried as belt guns especially since they were issued in pairs, no?

Last edited:
Well, there is this well-known image of a California gentleman with one in a full-flap crossdraw holster (flap folded back) that shows up from time to time. Rattenbury dates it to 1850, page 64, "Packing Iron."

Attachments

• image_67163649.jpeg
    image_67163649.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back