• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hello to my fellow Black Powder enthusiasts!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with Barry ,the barrel does look shorter.
Ruger has a good repair clause with their sales. Maybe they would “repair” the blueing. Just a thought.

Hi everyone. I spoke with Ruger, and they do not support these anymore. Basically, I am on my own lol. Barry Strickland, I believe you may be correct. I know they came in a 5.5 inch and a 7.5 inch barrel length. So check out these pics and tell me what you think.

Attachments

• 20240229_220128.jpg
    20240229_220128.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240229_220157.jpg
    20240229_220157.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240229_220153.jpg
    20240229_220153.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240229_220155.jpg
    20240229_220155.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
OK, that is the shorter barrel length.
There were some variations available. The one that did not have the adjustable rear sight was popular with
some of the cowboy action shooters.
I think I remember one of the early models that had a square back trigger guard.
Use it and enjoy it!
Barry

OK, that is the shorter barrel length.
There were some variations available. The one that did not have the adjustable rear sight was popular with
some of the cowboy action shooters.
I think I remember one of the early models that had a square back trigger guard.
Use it and enjoy it!
Barry
I went on the Ruger website, and they say the barrel length is measured from the face of the cylinder to the end of the barrel. Plus, all the pics I have seen online show the 7.5 as having the last 1.5 inches forward of the release. So, this one is right at 6 inches, so I am trying to figure out why anyone would cut off 1.5 inches????

I went on the Ruger website, and they say the barrel length is measured from the face of the cylinder to the end of the barrel. Plus, all the pics I have seen online show the 7.5 as having the last 1.5 inches forward of the release. So, this one is right at 6 inches, so I am trying to figure out why anyone would cut off 1.5 inches????
Because cutting off two inches you would have to relocate charging handle stop and shorten the handle

Just an adder, people do some odd things to gun when they could guy a different one and not do odd things.

Turns out its not brass. I took it to a gun shop, and we tested the color to see if it was old plating and discovered it is some type of coating. So, long story short, it was originally blued, someone polished the blue off and coated the grip frame. Still very well worth what I paid for it. I've read that due to the fact it is built on a Ruger Blackhawk frame you can put larger grip frame on it from a Super Black hawk. I would love to hear anyone's experience with this or get some more insight.
I’ve put the Super Blackhawk frame on a number of the ROA’s. It’s the perfect frame in my opinion, at least for the old army. Looks like they bobbed the barrel too. Nice gun. I’d leave it in the white unless you intend the grip frame swap, then maybe pull the barrel out and send the frame for color case hardening, then get barrel, cylinder, loading lever parts, and grip frame polished and blued. That would be one stunning Ruger.

20220112_112010.jpeg

I’ve put the Super Blackhawk frame on a number of the ROA’s. It’s the perfect frame in my opinion, at least for the old army. Looks like they bobbed the barrel too. Nice gun. I’d leave it in the white unless you intend the grip frame swap, then maybe pull the barrel out and send the frame for color case hardening, then get barrel, cylinder, loading lever parts, and grip frame polished and blued. That would be one stunning Ruger.

View attachment 299988
Thats a nice piece! So the Super Blackhawk IS a direct swap? And has a bigger grip for my gorilla mitts? I plan on leaving it white and using a Super Blackhawk grip frame.

Back