• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hello to my fellow Black Powder enthusiasts!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a few BP pistols and rifles. I recently picked up a Ruger Old Army. She is stainless steel but according to many forums I have read, it should not exist. You see,, it was made in 1973. And supposedly those were only in blued steel. There were 1200 with brass on the trigger guard and frame. But here I have one in stainless with brass trigger guard and frame. Any thoughts on the subject are welcome. Yes, I have contacted Ruger and I am awaiting their reply. Thanks in advance.
20240222_231500.jpg

Agreed with Flintleather though I would consider just leaving it as is regardless. Makes for an interesting gun.

My brother had a barrel for a rifle that was in the White. He never had any issues with it (target use only)

Good blue job is not easy. The only ones I ever saw that impressed me was S&W you could send a gun back to and they did a magnificent job.

The only thing I do not like about the ROA is its rammer system. Its annoying to removed a cylinder and in my case, the rammer went flying at the range when I was try9ing to get it out of the gun for a cease fire and we never found it again (lot of snow at the time). I was back last week when it had all metered off in the immediate area and nary a sign of it. Good news is you can get a replacement. Bad news is it was $40.

Welcome from New York State's Central-Leatherstocking region.

I had a stainless Ruger Old Army and it did in fact shoot as good as it looks. So good, in fact, that a friend without a NYS Pistol Permit begged me to sell it to him . . . so I did.

Don't know anything about the brass backstop and trigger-guard.

Welcome from New York State's Central-Leatherstocking region.

I had a stainless Ruger Old Army and it did in fact shoot as good as it looks. So good, in fact, that a friend without a NYS Pistol Permit begged me to sell it to him . . . so I did.

Don't know anything about the brass backstop and trigger-guard.
Turns out its not brass. I took it to a gun shop, and we tested the color to see if it was old plating and discovered it is some type of coating. So, long story short, it was originally blued, someone polished the blue off and coated the grip frame. Still very well worth what I paid for it. I've read that due to the fact it is built on a Ruger Blackhawk frame you can put larger grip frame on it from a Super Black hawk. I would love to hear anyone's experience with this or get some more insight.

Back