• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Just In Case Tutorial

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 48679

54 Cal.
Reaction score

As noted in my earlier thread, I wasn't totally satisfied with the case I made for my Uberti 1849 C&R, thinking I made it too big for the gun.

So, I decided to fashion a smaller, compact case, more in keeping with the size of the gun.

Ergo:

Step 1: Determine the needed interior case dimensions.

YSSz5Uhm.jpg

Step 2: Cut, fit & glue up a box of the correct interior size, or acquire a box suitable for your project - I found an old nick-knack box to strip the interior for conversion to a pistol case

Step 3: Transfer the interior dimensions/partition design to the inside of the box floor

iX5nVClm.jpg

Step 4: Cut wood partitions from a thin board (I ripped this one from a larger sheet)

PI61HfJm.jpg
dTEkaA6m.jpg

Step 5: Dry fit/cut/adjust the partitions into the floor of the box

oxTqUIFm.jpg
86Q0cZDm.jpg

Step 6: Upholster the partitions in the material/color of choice, starting with a paper template as a guide for cutting the upholstery material

CizLlQym.jpg
k6fOUa9m.jpg
6rUbfQam.jpg

jUY73CZm.jpg
1IgFktLm.jpg

Step 7: Cut & glue padding material for the bottom of each section, leaving clear space for gluing the partitions in place

MxZE95Fm.jpg

Step 8: Glue the upholstered partitions in place, and follow up with cutting paper patterns & material for the floor of each section, gluing in place.

TvcDyYam.jpg

Step 9: Upholster the inside of the lid, if desired

BxIsl7zm.jpg

Step 10: Wait a day for adhesive fumes to evaporate, then place your stuff inside & enjoy

JyWQp3dl.jpg

nice work. I have no problem working with wood, but I always have problems with cloth liners. You seem to have it down well.

T Y - try ironing the cloth B 4 cutting with a straightedge held down hard on the cloth & running a razor blade down the straightedge.

I "paint" the partition walls with Tacky Glue, which gives you a few minutes to wiggle the dry cloth into the best position before the adhesive starts to dry.

Back