• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

This is how I do tapered round barrel underlugs

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
There several good ways to install tapered round barrel underlugs, but I would like to share how I do it. :) I see on the net some makers solder the underlug on the barrel before inlet in wood. I do not like that method (for me) and so why not do it another way? Here is what I do: First photo gotta make the underlug so after annealing the brass I crimp it in half and then insert the face that will receive the key into the vice as shown. Once the correct diameter is acheived depending on barrel placement, the underlug is cut and filed as shown in the following photos. The web between the RR channel and barrel channel is nice and thin, (photo 2) which requires making a underlug that works, but does not encroach into the RR channel. Once I have the underlug made to fit, I do the inlet, but slighly oversizing the cutting. When the barrel is removed for cleaning after use, four underlugs that are too tight will for sure cause grief.
Next step, I placed two small strips of paper towel under the underlug in the inlet and then add a small drop of super glue to the barrel side of the underlug. I then quickly set the barrel in the channel on top op the new underlug and clamp down. After about two minutes I remove the barrel, clamp down the temporary glued on underlug, flux and then solder. Clean up the solder and then it is a done deal. As you can see on the finished underlug there are holes drilled in the underlug. My confidence in achieving full solder coverage at the underlug/barrel joint is boosted by having more entrances to place solder.
Larry

IMG_6067.jpeg

IMG_6084.jpeg

IMG_6079.jpeg

IMG_6080.jpeg

IMG_6082.jpeg

Latest posts

Back