• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need some advice on Flinter brass end cap

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtsage

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I got a little over zealous, or dumb a&%s, whatever. I drilled out the brass holes in the end cap to match up the holes with the barrel holes. Now I can't put alot of tension on the screw without pulling them thru the holes on the brass endcap. My thinking is maybe I could just silver solder the holes shut and redrill, or fill with JB Weld and redrill. I'm sure somebody can come up with a option for me. Thanks. Pic included.
IMG_0175.jpg

JB is plenty strong for the application, but I'd braze them up and redrill. Solder should work, too and won't show much around the screw heads. You could also drill them out and solder in some plugs cut from brass rod, but the rod will cost more than the end cap. Another option would be using the case head off of something like 9mm cartridge brass to make a wafer, drill the holes uniform, file the wafer and solder that in, just make sure to file your holes to center because the primer pocket will pretty much be where it's going to be and you can't move that "pilot hole" easily except by filing a little with needle files or Dremel with small burr.

I got a little over zealous, or dumb a&%s, whatever. I drilled out the brass holes in the end cap to match up the holes with the barrel holes. Now I can't put alot of tension on the screw without pulling them thru the holes on the brass endcap. My thinking is maybe I could just silver solder the holes shut and redrill, or fill with JB Weld and redrill. I'm sure somebody can come up with a option for me. Thanks. Pic included.
Whoops. :( Not a mistake if ya can fix it! 😂
I would purchase or make two brass washers to fit the holes after I trued them up with a counter sink. You have irregular holes and the counter sink should make them a tad better. Solder the brass washers in making sure that they seated on the end cap metal. After solder, do as Springer said and open the holes with a round file.
Done Deal!
Larry

I got a little over zealous, or dumb a&%s, whatever. I drilled out the brass holes in the end cap to match up the holes with the barrel holes. Now I can't put alot of tension on the screw without pulling them thru the holes on the brass endcap. My thinking is maybe I could just silver solder the holes shut and redrill, or fill with JB Weld and redrill. I'm sure somebody can come up with a option for me. Thanks. Pic included. View attachment 250904
YIKES! Just sayin.

Whoops. :( Not a mistake if ya can fix it! 😂
I would purchase or make two brass washers to fit the holes after I trued them up with a counter sink. You have irregular holes and the counter sink should make them a tad better. Solder the brass washers in making sure that they seated on the end cap metal. After solder, do as Springer said and open the holes with a round file.
Done Deal!
Larry
Took Larry's advice and used a counter sink and a brass washer that I brazed in. Obviously I have some cleanup work to do. Hard to find a huge selection of screws in Great Falls but used what would work. No PC on the screws, but you know what, this is a meat gun so will work just fine. Will be ready by Oct for hunting. Thanks to all. Great forum for advice for sure.
IMG_0180.jpg

Not to worry. The ramrod will act as a cover for the two screws. BTW, I have seen that type of screw used in another rifle. The owner wanted brass screws in his Pedersoli southern mountain rifle, so he replaced all of the slotted screws with brass Phillips screws.

Took Larry's advice and used a counter sink and a brass washer that I brazed in. Obviously I have some cleanup work to do. Hard to find a huge selection of screws in Great Falls but used what would work. No PC on the screws, but you know what, this is a meat gun so will work just fine. Will be ready by Oct for hunting. Thanks to all. Great forum for advice for sure.
View attachment 251277
If The Hawken brothers had access to Phillip's head screws, they would have used them.

Back