• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Repairing escutcheon screw holes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishslap

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I recently acquired a 58 cal TC Renegade. Both screw holes for one escutcheon have small bits of material missing between the holes and the wedge key slot in the wood (not the escutcheon plate). The holes are a little bored out also. One screw was missing which means it probably fell out. I’m going to order some 1/2” wood screws from TOTW so they all match.

How would you go about rebuilding this area? JB weld wood repair? Gorilla wood filler? I have some two part epoxy putty I’ve used to rebuild broken antler tips and it’s fairly easy to work with and dries rock hard. Not sure how it would be for drilling a pilot hole and screwing in wood screws.

Thanks

Since it will all be covered by the escutcheon, you could drill the hole larger and glue in a dowel. Smallest dowel I’ve seen is 1/8” at wood workers store. Thenredrill with the proper size for new screws.

A round toothpick or a wood match stick whittled to fit and a little Titebond wood glue. Trim flush once the glue is dry.
Not sure that would be enough of a fix in this case. The hole is broken out slightly between it and the wedge key slot. Need some wood there too.

The fix is the same, remove enough wood to allow a piece of wood to be glued in. Then trim as needed and drill for screws.
Thanks. That looks like the solution. Originally, I wasn’t sure if I could just build up the area with one of the aforementioned products.

Here’s the damage and a pic of the screw since a question was asked.
IMG_7601.jpeg

IMG_7603.jpeg

The reason the escutcheon is torn out is the key was hitting it rather than bearing on the wood. The wood should support the key and the escutcheon mearly protects the opening. The key should hold the barrel with both escutcheons removed. When you push a key in and it stops at the escutcheon that means it is trying to push it out. Longwalk gives sound advice.

Back