• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Provisional hole in barrel is off

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Versanaut

40 Cal
Reaction score
Greetings all,

A couple years ago I inherited a CVA pistol kit from my grandfather. I started to tinker with dry fitting components when I noticed the nose cap, when aligned with the threaded hole in the barrel gives a large gap between the nosecap and the 'forearm' and the nose cap sits about a 1/16 proud of the muzzle. I thought maybe the cap was mis-drilled so I ordered another cap from Deer Creek. Nope. Same dimensional problems. I thought maybe the wood had shrunk from being in a attic for a while, but all the other components fit up fine. Plus the overhang on the barrel would not be caused by wood shrinkage. So I believe the hole on the barrel is on the wrong spot.

I figure the only two options I have is to plug it (gotta find a fit) or weld over it and park two new holes myself. Both holes would overlap the plug/weld and while this isn't truly structural, I'd be concerned my poor craftsmanship (only have build one rifle.. 10 years ago) would cause this to come loose after some use.

The other route could be to cut the barrel short and drill fresh holes.

She's been on the top shelf now for a couple years with my indecision so I'm looking for a push or even a left field thought from ya'll.

I appreciate your suggestions in advance.

Cheers,
VN

Attachments

• IMG_2588.JPG
    IMG_2588.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2587.JPG
    IMG_2587.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2586.JPG
    IMG_2586.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2585.JPG
    IMG_2585.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2584.JPG
    IMG_2584.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2583.JPG
    IMG_2583.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2581.JPG
    IMG_2581.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
1) Work on the nose cap, not the barrel. Far less risk and trouble. You can’t shorten it, or move it backward? Or fill the screw holes and re-drill?
2) Or make a horn or other material nosecap to replace the one you have.
3) Or ditch the nosecap.

Looking at your pics. The barrel needs to be set back a bit so the drum is centered on the lockplate. Before ANY fiddiling with the nosecap. Then if necessary the nosecap can be fitted.

This is a snow ball project, if you set the barrel back to line up with the lock that will help line up the screw holes then the nose cap can be set back. Now will the tang to trigger plate line up? Many hours of fun ahead!

Just add a brass or dark woods spacer between the two. Epoxy and pin.

The CVA way to attach the nose cap and barrel is pretty poor.

One could fill the screw holes with spelter solder or brass rivets soldered in place. Then properly attach the nose cap with a screw from the inside.

Attaching it with epoxy would work well too. Rough it up inside with an electro pencil or whatever to give the glue some tooth.

A barrel tenon would need to be added to the barrel and a pin used to retain the barrel.

Like Bruce HH used on his Mule Ear project.
1234w.jpg

Only in between the two.

Do you understand?

Whatever method you select, it's important to remember the only things holding that barrel to the stock on one of these is the tang bolt - sometimes just a tang screw, not a throughbolt - and that bit of wood captured by the nosecap. If you have to compromise that nosecap's function at all the above suggestion to rough things up and use epoxy would be a good one.

I would only use the previous stated fix if you were getting paid to fix it by the hour!

Just braze the hole and move it would be the easiest fix.

Greetings all,

A couple years ago I inherited a CVA pistol kit from my grandfather. I started to tinker with dry fitting components when I noticed the nose cap, when aligned with the threaded hole in the barrel gives a large gap between the nosecap and the 'forearm' and the nose cap sits about a 1/16 proud of the muzzle. I thought maybe the cap was mis-drilled so I ordered another cap from Deer Creek. Nope. Same dimensional problems. I thought maybe the wood had shrunk from being in a attic for a while, but all the other components fit up fine. Plus the overhang on the barrel would not be caused by wood shrinkage. So I believe the hole on the barrel is on the wrong spot.

I figure the only two options I have is to plug it (gotta find a fit) or weld over it and park two new holes myself. Both holes would overlap the plug/weld and while this isn't truly structural, I'd be concerned my poor craftsmanship (only have build one rifle.. 10 years ago) would cause this to come loose after some use.

The other route could be to cut the barrel short and drill fresh holes.

She's been on the top shelf now for a couple years with my indecision so I'm looking for a push or even a left field thought from ya'll.

I appreciate your suggestions in advance.

Cheers,
VN
I would make a new nose cap of antler or brass, or simply make a 'filler' of something similar to bridge the gap, and file the overhang off. If you used horn or antler, adding a couple of decorative inlays elsewhere would disguise the fact that it is a repair. The other alternative, as someone else suggested, would be to lose the nose cap completely and re-shape the fore end accordingly. I have done that with a CVA Kentucky in order to lighten the front end. I also re-shaped the grip and added a pommel, so the end result resembled a LePage. Sorry I don't have pics for you (sold it).

Latest posts

Back