• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

J&D shoots way off target

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I fired off some fresh Jonson & Dow paper cartridges I made for my new Uberti 1860 Army. Using 25gn 3f in Dustin Wineager’s kit. At about 10 yards, they were shoot about a foot to the left. I didn’t get a chance to put them on paper to see if it was a consistent group, but I do know they were shooting way off to the left.
I did not modify the barrel, and it was a little tricky at first to get them started in, but I did get the hang of it. They seemed to go in straight, but I’m wondering if they are actually cocked ever so slightly, if that’s why they’re shooting way left.
Is it absolutely necessary to relieve material off the barrel? If that’s the case, I may just stick with round balls. They’re shooting good groups @25 yards about 3” to the left. But I should be able to adjust my windage with that.

In my (minimal) experience with Johnston & Dow conicals, the shape of the heel of the bullet is very good at keeping it centered. In my unmodified Uberti Walker I have to tip them a bit as they rotate under the barrel assembly, but then they go in perfect.

In mine they do have a different point of impact than RB, but do group pretty well. I haven't worked up the best load yet. Is 25 gr. the max you can fit in the paper cartridges? Maybe try experimenting with the charge with loose powder and bullets on paper target before trying them again. Also are you lubricating them? Good luck, Justin

In my (minimal) experience with Johnston & Dow conicals, the shape of the heel of the bullet is very good at keeping it centered. In my unmodified Uberti Walker I have to tip them a bit as they rotate under the barrel assembly, but then they go in perfect.

In mine they do have a different point of impact than RB, but do group pretty well. I haven't worked up the best load yet. Is 25 gr. the max you can fit in the paper cartridges? Maybe try experimenting with the charge with loose powder and bullets on paper target before trying them again. Also are you lubricating them? Good luck, Justin
I don’t think I could fit anymore powder in the chamber. The lube I used was a little too thick, so it was hard to see how they sat in there exactly. I think I need to see how they’re grouping first. And keep the lube to a minimum

Latest posts

Back