• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Adjusting non adjustable sights

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can adjust the point of impact by striking the gun in the proper place with a non-marring mallet.
Whack it and shoot. Whack it again if necessary.
Remove the cylinder before doing this-so you don't hit it.

It gets nuf wackin around when I run out of caps and have to use it as a bludgeoned on them side winding injin scalping local weed smoking red eye guzzling horse molesting hide thevin varmints

You can adjust the point of impact by striking the gun in the proper place with a non-marring mallet.
Huh, I've straightened rifle barrels by whacking them over a birch block of wood opposite of where the bend is and V blocks with pipe clamps but never heard of whacking a mounted pistol barrel. Sounds like a dandy way to warp or crack a frame to me.
In solid frame revolvers the usual reason for windage issues is the barrel hole in the frame often is not bored and threaded straight and square with the barrel shoulder. Some of them are so crooked you can see the mounted barrel angle off to one side or the other from the sight cut in the top strap. If this is the reason for windage issues than I don't see how whacking them mounted in the frame can correct for it as the frame top strap will be doing most of the bending not the barrel and when that is bent out of alignment so is the cylinder face and barrel breech level to each other course it will be any way with the barrel hole out of square.
If the barrel is removed and V block bent with clamps than the bend can be calibrated and controlled but then the shell extraction rod housing or loading ram not line up so the whole shebang is a virtual can of worms !
Truth is I don't know of a good way to correct a frame that has the barrel hole bored and threaded out of square with the barrel shoulder. It's never going to be "right" no matter how much effort one puts into it.

Last edited:

Well you need to determine which direction you want things to go.

Do you support the barrel and bash it in between or do you just whack it with both ends of the gun supported?

I would recommend a hydraulic press, nice even pressure and you might even have a gun left when you are done!

When I have time I'm going to try to put up some pictures and descriptions of what I've determined is the proper way to adjust these old horse pistol sites.

The hammer can be draw filed in such a way that it is lined up to the point of aim and does not look Goofy and the front sights can be adjusted depending on which style of pistol if it's the hexagon barrel pocket or navy model, or the round Walker dragoon or 1860 army style

Well you need to determine which direction you want things to go.

Do you support the barrel and bash it in between or do you just whack it with both ends of the gun supported?

I would recommend a hydraulic press, nice even pressure and you might even have a gun left when you are done!
Well shiver me timbers, might as well lay it in the driveway and run over it a couple of times with the pickup and hope for the best !

Back