• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

It happened again today at the public range...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, Sir, apart from 'The Patriot' movie - now 25 years old - and the other one with L di C in it, I'm sat here racking what remains of my brain cells to think about what other movies are around that show our muzzleloading shenanigins?

Maybe the remake of 'The Three Musketeers' and 'Alatriste', but thems is decidedly NOT American, and anyhow, represent the matchlock and wheellock eras.
The Revenant.

Well, Sir, apart from 'The Patriot' movie - now 25 years old - and the other one with L di C in it, I'm sat here racking what remains of my brain cells to think about what other movies are around that show our muzzleloading shenanigins?

Maybe the remake of 'The Three Musketeers' and 'Alatriste', but thems is decidedly NOT American, and anyhow, represent the matchlock and wheellock eras.
Don’t forget “Last of the Mohicans” and Hawkeye’s silk patch fir extra distance.

The Revenant.
The movie has some artsy/fartsy/bizzaro moments, but on the whole it is enjoyable to watch (I bought it). One has to ignore the repeating guns, guns going off with open frizzens, empty flash pans. Leo's (apparently) water tight powder flask with non smoking powder that doesn't fireball in his face when he pours it on a small fire. A nice touch was the flint and steel that barely sparked and got some dead grass blazing way, etc, etc......

I taught the black powder and archery sections of hunter safety for about 10 years; I was surprised at how many kids between 10 and 15 didn't know there were ever bows made that didn't have wheels on the ends, they had never seen or heard of such bows.
I guess the days of young boys building a bow from a tree branch and some strong string to hunt sgurels in the woods behind the house are long gone and forgotten. I guess I am older than I thought.

One recent movie I can think of is Prey (2022). A predator (you know, the alien kind 😁) comes to Earth around 1719 and hunts a group of Comanche and some French voyageurs. The Frenchmen have flintlocks naturally.

I have the same experience. Over the years I have had young and old people approach me and ask about my muzzleloaders. After I explain everything I always ask if they would like to shoot one. 99% of them answer in the affirmative. 100% of them walk away with a smile on their faces! Makes my day. Been this way since 1968!

One recent movie I can think of is Prey (2022). A predator (you know, the alien kind 😁) comes to Earth around 1719 and hunts a group of Comanche and some French voyageurs. The Frenchmen have flintlocks naturally.

Golly gosh! I'd completely over looked that one, due to the utterly unbelievable native American female who looked more like a young Whoopie Goldberg than any First Nation gal I'VE ever seen - don't forget we live in Ontario part of the year - WE know what they look like, us do.

Golly gosh! I'd completely over looked that one, due to the utterly unbelievable native American female who looked more like a young Whoopie Goldberg than any First Nation gal I'VE ever seen - don't forget we live in Ontario part of the year - WE know what they look like, us do.
OK, I'll just point out then that the main actress, Amber Midthunder, is part of the Navajo tribe (although her mother is Thai)

OK, I'll just point out then that the main actress, Amber Midthunder, is part of the Navajo tribe (although her mother is Thai)

Ahah. Thank you for that. It was the mix of Asian features with NA that puzzled me. Rather like an actor playing the part of Richard the Third being half-English and half-Thai/Chinese.

Last of the Mohegans is great. Watching them reload while running through is great

So took the wife to the not so local public range today where she learned how to load and shoot her .50 Hawken. After she was finished I loaded up my .54 GPR and shot a few times. Wasn't long before a polite younger fella from a group at the far end of the benches came walking over. He said "excuse me sir, I'm curious as to what you are shooting there"? He then went on to say that he noticed it made a loud boom and saw lots of smoke. So I took the time to give him a brief explanation of what it is. He was quite fascinated with it.

Most younger folks have never seen a traditional ML or any ML that shoots black powder. I enjoy chatting with them.

Happens every time. :)

I agree that most younger people, mainly whose parents weren't involved in the muzzleloading hobby probably have never seen one. I do know two younger lads, my grandsons, who've been around muzzleloaders their whole lives and can outshoot most of us old guys if you put a flintlock in their hands.

I live in Oklahoma, rural/small town area. I have yet to find a neighbor, from six to eighty-six, who has ever seen a muzzle loader to know what it is :rolleyes:. I gifted a BP pistol to a seventy year old neighbor who did not know what it was before I showed him my collection. My 60+ year old stepdaughter and husband could not figure out what those funny looking little copper cups were for :doh: . I gave them two BP rifles and one pistol. I still have not taken them shooting. The guns hang on their wall. BTW: I hated The Revenant; just silly [I know, just my opinion]. Dale

Good story! I did have a fellow shooter wonder aloud if my stainless ROA was actually BP. I had to lower the loading lever to show him that I wasn't kidding.

Not BP related but I was at a public range and had a revolver I was shooting. A man came over and asked if his daughter could shoot it as she had never shot a revolver, she was an adult, at least mid-20s. Probably hadn't shot anything that wasn't mostly polymer. Don't take that wrong, I have some "plastic" pistols that I think are great but steel, walnut and wheel guns seem to be going the way of the Dodo. Though I did watch a video recently that noted many newer owners, who carry for defensive reasons, are choosing revolvers due to their relative simplicity and ease of use.

The slightest interest from another shooter results in an immediate "Have you ever shot a flintlock before? NO? Would you like to?" I load the first one, demonstrate the safety issues, and then load one for the new shooter. Then I let them load their own under my supervision. I always get big grins and Thank You's.

ADK Bigfoot

Back