• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

It happened again today at the public range...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I'm at the range, if any other shooters talk to me about my muzzle loading, I typically offer to let them shoot whatever gun I have there that day, especially kids. Last time I was there with 32 caliber rifle and 8 yr old was looking at me, so I let him shoot it. Basically no recoil and he liked it.

I guess the days of young boys building a bow from a tree branch and some strong string to hunt sgurels in the woods behind the house are long gone and forgotten. I guess I am older than I thought.
In AZ we used to use dead Saguaro ribs. The bow would resemble one of those asymmetrical Japanese bows. They worked good for a half a dozen or so uses and then shred themselves.
Great fun!

I had a young couple show up on public land once, he was teaching her how to shoot their...unmentionable...and when I started shooting frozen drinking bottles with colored water - some hung on string about 50yards and a couple on the ground at 75yard - I heard tell "He Hit It!!"
After I took out a couple more he told her (while I was loading) "Go ask him, I'm sure he'll explain it to you..."

I couldn't get either to take my coffee to shoot a few but before they left all three of us piched in and cleaned up a bunch of trash left by other shooters (shot gun shooters are WORST around here..they all have 'bad backs' and somewhere to be....).
At the end the guy looked at me and said; "I guess you don't leave much behind?" (Referring to my .50 Pennsylvania), I said "Nope, just few patches that I might not find..."

....never saw them again, darn shame, couple of nice kids.

One recent movie I can think of is Prey (2022). A predator (you know, the alien kind 😁) comes to Earth around 1719 and hunts a group of Comanche and some French voyageurs. The Frenchmen have flintlocks naturally.
Interesting ....never heard of it !!

On the rare occasions when I get to shoot, 99% of that time I shoot alone I was on a turn row off of a road that the county had abandoned (no longer maintained). I had on hearing protection so I didn’t hear 2 sheriff’s deputies pull up behind me until they got out. They said that they had heard the boom over on the main road and came to investigate. Both were 20 something black guys. First they wanted to know if I had permission which I did. Then they asked about my guns. I tried to explain but they insisted that they had heard that there were only 2 types of muzzleloaders, those that have blown up and those that are fixen’ too. I had one loaded and ask if either one would care to take a shot. You would’ve thought that I was handing them a rattlesnake, they quickly backed up and asked that I wait till they were down the road before I lit one of those things off.

One recent movie I can think of is Prey (2022). A predator (you know, the alien kind 😁) comes to Earth around 1719 and hunts a group of Comanche and some French voyageurs. The Frenchmen have flintlocks naturally.
This movie is worth watching if you can find it. Sure, it has some hokey stuff in it, but if you liked the original Predator and you like Women/girl heroes, try it. Hell, the Frenchmen actually wound the predator with their flintlocks!

I’ve talked to several kids about MLs and ask them if they know who Daniel Boone or Davey Crockett were and they have no idea. I guess they don’t have a flintlock weapon available on Call of Duty!!
If it ain't on social media or my smart phone, it ain't real. [Quote a 16 year old]

Back