• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is this Barrel shot?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonnyReb3

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Bought a .45 NumRich buggy rifle a few years ago and just now got around to it. It had a peep mounted on the barrel and it seems the threaded screws go all the way through the barrel into the bore. Also the nipple was rethreaded and the new nipple only has 3 or 4 threads holding it..between these two issues i consider the barrel shot...what would you guys do, new barrel?

The hole in the barrel is a deal breaker,,
Sure it'll shot and be OK,, but it'll never be what it should or could be.
Someone at GB's can tell ya to slug it, fill it with solder or JB Paste or something and it'll be a tack driver. But that hole will rip or damages patches and/or lead maxis.
:idunno:
I'd call it toast and find something else to do with the barrel.

just where is the hole in the barrel? how far forward of the breach ?

Its on the breechline Bob, exactly even with the nipple threads.

Is about what i figured john, thanks.

If the bore is ok, just set the barrel back.
Remove the breach plug, cut off the back of the barrel, re- thread it.
Or a new barrel

William Alexander

I can fix that easy.

just cut off at the nipple threads. rethread end of barrel. make a new breach end. drill a paten breach then drill and tap nipple hole.

I have done it before.

Set it back by whatever distance needed to get rid of @#$%^!$@#% problem. I just cut end off a nice .45 bbl. from a side lock gun, re-breeched it for UH and drilled new nipple hole, now have a nice lite-wt. UH rifle to play with....Tom

Thanks for the replies, i figured for some of you folks a fix wouldn't be a big deal. I myself won't take on such endeavors but admire all those who can.

I did find however that Numrich still has their unbreached .45 buggy barrels in stock for 52.00 or 54.00 bucks apeice. This probably is the least expensive way to go?

well if you can get a new barrel for $60 or less. I would go for it. for me to do the work I described would cost you $45. plus shipping.

unless you are dead set on the short barrel. I would go with a longer barrel. they are easier to shoot well. plus they will burn more of a heavy hunting charge.

Without having it in our collective hands it is hard to say for sure but I think I might just fix it.

If the hole for the rear sight is at the breach line then it is fixable with no disadvantages
If that hole was farther forward then no, not so easy.

The nipple could be re-threaded to an oversized one

Bob303 or the like could do that too I am sure, if willing.

You are going to need to send or take it somewhere and get some gunsmith type eyes on it.

Good luck, and let us know what you do and how it worked out.

William Alexander

Back