• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question about nipple and bolster thread weakness

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been present during a few spontaneous disassembles. A couple of nipples and one drum, luckily no injuries. After investigation, loose or suspect threads were the common denominator. Usually with a statement like ‘I thought I could get by’ or ‘thought I could make it work’. Our ‘toys’ have a rather energetic energy source and can be dangerous if threads or other mechanical components are compromised.
Exactly my wife’s opinion. I definitely will never shoot it until fully convinced it has been made safe. Thanks. I was wondering if anyone had ever witnessed such a failure.

Based on the photos you've posted of this rifle's nice condition & small caliber, I would properly fit a new
nipple in the original drum & shoot this rifle with no concerns with 40-45 grs of 3f.
I base this opinion on my 60+ years of building muzzleloaders & collecting & shooting primarily original flint & percussion firearms.
Relic shooter

I agree with the recommendations to remove the drum and inspect the threads on it and in the side of the barrel even, if you can retap the drum for and install an oversized nipple. Many years back I had the vent liner blow out of a new, custom flintlock rifle. My brother was shooting 10 feet away from me and the liner missed his head by about 8 inches or so, near as we could figure. Moral of story, better safe than sorry.

Latest posts

Back