• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is muzzleloading an addiction?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Rob

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I started out with a cap lock traditions carbine that I won in a club raffle. Shot it a few times and took a couple of deer with it. Didn't really do much though. Then I got hooked on flintlocks and I started getting more and more. Does this ever end or am I going to keep getting deeper into this? Anyway, I love it, love the smell of real black powder smoke and learning more as I go. I have a goal of building a longrifle from scratch one day.

Of course it's not an addiction. What a silly notion!

Just because it gets you involved in the guns, the gear to shoot them, the time and materials to maintain them, comparing the advantages of various makes and grades of powder, the materials and tools to make your own accessories (optional, maybe), the time to get to and from the range and getting off 10 shots while others go through hundreds of rounds, always being on the lookout for a bargain, hunting gear, learning how to prepare and cook game, learning about the history of the time your gun represents, and a few more things.

But addicting? Certainly not!

I'm reminded of that line from Mark Twain. "I can give up smoking any time I want. I've done it a thousand times."

Jeff

‘Hi, my name is Jeff and I’m a black powder addict. It started harmlessly enough. CVA pistols in a field and stream magazine. Got a Mowrey Allen and Thurber. Then it was navy arms, and a CVA kit. Pretty soon it was parts from pecotonic and Track of the Wolf.
then came smoothies.
I started with caps, then got the rock in the locks.
clothing tents pots and pans boiled pudding when does it end????”
“Hi Jeff, I’m Bob, you shoot flintlock smoothies? Wow, jack over there and Mary have smoothies too. You know there is some great land for a rendezvous over in the Mark Twain forest. You know I think a few of us could get together in September’
‘Hi Jeff I’m Mary, September is great for me, we could have a pot luck on Saturday nineteenth century and earlier meals only.
Hey do you know Archie and Sue? Archie plays the fiddle and Sue plays a dulcimer no post 1850 music’
‘Hi Mary, Bob,Jack, yeah this sound great. September is good. Ok what are the twelve steps of planning an event. Let’s see, we have to secure the land, get some hooters,firewood for the camp.....

Of course it's not an addiction. What a silly notion!

Just because it gets you involved in the guns, the gear to shoot them, the time and materials to maintain them, comparing the advantages of various makes and grades of powder, the materials and tools to make your own accessories (optional, maybe), the time to get to and from the range and getting off 10 shots while others go through hundreds of rounds, always being on the lookout for a bargain, hunting gear, learning how to prepare and cook game, learning about the history of the time your gun represents, and a few more things.

But addicting? Certainly not!

I'm reminded of that line from Mark Twain. "I can give up smoking any time I want. I've done it a thousand times."

Jeff
That quote is one of my all time faves. -Larry

Back