• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking for a turkey gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got spring turkey season coming up in a couple months. Thinking about giving it a shot with a muzzleloader. Only problem is I don't think roundball out of a rifled barrel is going to do me much good, so I have an excuse to shop for a new smoke pole 😉

So, before I hunt for a bird, I need to hunt for a bird gun. Figured y'all might have some recommendations for me. Looking for something on the lower end of the price scale (If I can keep it under the $500-$600 range that'd be perfect). Leaning toward percussion lock. As much as I love flintlocks now that I have one, I'm thinking for this application I'd be more comfortable with a percussion cap. I'd even explore the idea of an inline, but I'd really prefer a traditional style. I don't care about having a choke, and would probably prefer not having one just to avoid the hassle during loading. Also being in California I'm not able to use lead, if that's any consideration.

I'm sure my big limiter will be the price point, but maybe there's something out there that fits the bill.

Do you want a single shot or sxs? Do you want a 10, 12, 16, 20 ga ect?
Living in CA requires the non toxic shot which you already mentioned so is it bismuth shot or do you want to try the heavier than lead stuff like TSS? I shoot both out of my sxs 3 20's and 10 gauges. Do you want used or new? What is your recoil tolerance? There are a lot of personal variables involved. 500 to 600 is doable with some research on your part.

Not too picky on Single Shot vs SxS. Not too much experience with SxS in general, but if there aren't any major drawbacks to them, having a followup shot in case of a misfire would be nice.
Hadn't really landed on a shot material yet. I was leaning toward bismuth because it seems a little more readily available from my initial looks.
Bore size is another one I'm not set on, hoping someone has a suggestion on what works well for turkey. No experience with muzzleloader shotguns, so I'm not sure how much the bore size patterning differs from those "other" shotguns.
Prefer new so I'm not stuck looking until next year for the perfect shotgun that I may never see on the secondary market. But I don't mind used at all if it's something I can find.
Recoil tolerance, sky's the limit. I've never minded rifles with heavy recoil. Pain is temporary, memories are forever(ish).

I see both original and replicas on Gunbroker all the time. I've bought a couple (mostly old Fowler's in good shape. I really like my percussion double barrel 12 gauge made by <AMR> that I picked up at one of our muzzleshoots for $160 and a custom flintlock double 16 gauge made by J. Phillips with Cochren locks also at a muzzleshoot, a little more expensive though at $350.

Latest posts

Back