• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Interesting old axe coming up at local auction

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Don't know anything about it but what the listing says "Early Iron Axe or Hatchet, Large with 13" Head". Interesting piece, don't know if is something that would be of interest to BP enthusiasts. Do you think it might be worth picking up?

My auction mindset is "if I like it and can steal it I just might buy it." This mindset has caused me to become a closet hoarder of sorts. I tell my younger coworkers "don't miss my auction." I pity the executor of my "estate" when I pass...too much stuff to sort through. I just hope they don't get ripped off when the time comes! Though I surely won't care much then.

old axe-1.jpeg

The handle looks too short for the blade. It sure looks like a fine tool for doing my chickens and birds in.
Gave me a laugh! You can never tell what anything will bring in an auction. But I have it on my "watch list" There are no times posted yet for this auction but I'll post what the sale price was once the auction is over.

I think it would look nice hanging on a wall somewhere. I don't have a lot of wall space left...flags, firearms, paintings etc...Like I said, I'm a bit of a hoarder! But I could probably find a space for this.

The handle looks too short for the blade. It sure looks like a fine tool for doing my chickens and birds in.
They were made short because used in shirt careful strokes.
About every foot a log was cross cut to a line. Then the axe that’s flat on one side and tapered on the other taps along. As one works ones depending on very careful and well placed hits.
If you needed fine work you cleaned up with an adz

It’s sometimes called a hewing or a broad axe. If it has any special stamps or brands it might be pretty valuable.
Yep and if you look at it from above the cutting edge is likely not aligned with the handle and head, but that's because it's for turning round logs into flat sided logs.

Here's a well worn hewing axe

HEWING AXE SIDE.JPG

Here it is from above. The blade shape allows the user to "square up" a log without the head portion where the haft is fitted, causing the axe to bounce away from the log on impact.

HEWING AXE ABOVE.JPG

Here is a "bearded" version ...

HEWING AXE BEARDED SIDE.JPG

In the bearded version the blade is offset in a different manner ....

HEWING AXE BEARDED ABOVE.JPG

LD

Around here, axes don't go cheap, if there's any age to them. I like to watch them sell, but can't see bidding $200, or $300 or more on something to hang on the wall. Especially when the little woman doesn't want to see it.

Around here, axes don't go cheap, if there's any age to them. I like to watch them sell, but can't see bidding $200, or $300 or more on something to hang on the wall. Especially when the little woman doesn't want to see it.
Nor would I spend that much on a axe for decoration…That’s why I said, “If I could steal it “, meaning get it cheap.

I will post the final price, but the last auction they took the final prices down after the auction ended and that was a first. So if I don’t see it on auction night I may not know what it went for.

I think you should buy it.

Life is short, enjoy it. spend your money, who cares?

Fleener
Well if it is reasonable I’ll surely bid but if it brings what Rawhide67 mentioned…well there are far more things that I would rather spend that amount on then an axe to use as decoration.

Latest posts

Back