• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SOLD Reduced: An Interesting Flintlock .50 Hawken:$500 shipped

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Here’s an interesting one directly from the auction house. At first, I believed this gun was a Thompson Center Hawken kit gun with a replacement barrel, but after taking it apart, I’m not so sure.

The barrel is 36”, marked JHD. It is a hook breech, with an additional Allen screw that snugs to the tang. The lock looks to be a TC lock, but I don’t know enough to be sure. The same thing with the stock. I compared it to my TC percussion Hawken, and though similar, there are some very fine differences, mainly in the nose cap (this has 2 screws), the cheek piece (this one is a tad more subtle), and the patch boxes are ever so slightly different.

So, what do I know about this gun. It sparks well, it’s heavy, about 10#, no underlugs, no ramrod, a few dings and small cracks which I have tried to photo, a white .50 caliber barrel with a clean and shiny bore, the barrel has an extra set of holes on top where it looks like one sight was replaced with an adjustable v notch sight. LOP is around 14”. Double set triggers work well, lock is crisp, and over all the gun is tight. Also comes with a sling which I have removed for photos.

I have not shot this gun, but it seems to function fine. I welcome any information someone might have to educate me on what I have, and will entertain offers since I’m not sure how to price this guy. If you would like more information or photos, let me know. Reduced to $500 shipped.

Attachments

• IMG_2951.jpeg
    IMG_2951.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2952.jpeg
    IMG_2952.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2953.jpeg
    IMG_2953.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2954.jpeg
    IMG_2954.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2955.jpeg
    IMG_2955.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2956.jpeg
    IMG_2956.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2957.jpeg
    IMG_2957.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2958.jpeg
    IMG_2958.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2959.jpeg
    IMG_2959.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2950.jpeg
    IMG_2950.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
More photos, note my TC Hawken is included in photos to show differences. My percussion Hawken is not for sale.

Attachments

• IMG_2960.jpeg
    IMG_2960.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2961.jpeg
    IMG_2961.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2962.jpeg
    IMG_2962.jpeg
  • IMG_2963.jpeg
    IMG_2963.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2964.jpeg
    IMG_2964.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2965.jpeg
    IMG_2965.jpeg
  • IMG_2966.jpeg
    IMG_2966.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Upon discussion with some trusted advisors, I believe this gun was built as a light bench gun. The barrel locks into the tang with 2 allen screws (on on top and one on the left side). The butt has been drilled and it looks like it has been weighted with lead slugs (see photos). All of this paired with the weight of the gun and the lack of an underrib, I tend to believe this observation.

The only markings I have found are the "JHD" on the barrel, and "7388gr" on the inside of the buttplate and the patchbox (see photos).

Also, failed to mention, but did photo, it looks like they used JB Weld as a filler when fitting the lock.

Again, don't be afraid to make an offer, I'm really not sure where this guy prices at.

Attachments

• IMG_2985.JPEG
    IMG_2985.JPEG
    916 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2986.JPEG
    IMG_2986.JPEG
    797.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2987.JPEG
    IMG_2987.JPEG
    685.5 KB · Views: 0
Another update, and this shows to never take the auction house listing as gospel. This gun is a .50 caliber, not .54. No marking on the barrel, so I decided to drop a ball down it to check. Ad has been updated with correct information.

It doesn’t look like it has a place for a ram rod. Does it have the screw holes for the pipes under the barrel?
It doesn’t have an under lug or thimbles. The holes are there for the lug, as well as the chamber in the nose/stock.

It’s one of the things that leads me to believe it was built as a bench gun.

Attachments

• IMG_2990.jpeg
    IMG_2990.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Here’s an interesting one directly from the auction house. At first, I believed this gun was a Thompson Center Hawken kit gun with a replacement barrel, but after taking it apart, I’m not so sure.

The barrel is 36”, marked JHD. It is a hook breech, with an additional Allen screw that snugs to the tang. The lock looks to be a TC lock, but I don’t know enough to be sure. The same thing with the stock. I compared it to my TC percussion Hawken, and though similar, there are some very fine differences, mainly in the nose cap (this has 2 screws), the cheek piece (this one is a tad more subtle), and the patch boxes are ever so slightly different.

So, what do I know about this gun. It sparks well, it’s heavy, about 10#, no underlugs, no ramrod, a few dings and small cracks which I have tried to photo, a white .50 caliber barrel with a clean and shiny bore, the barrel has an extra set of holes on top where it looks like one sight was replaced with an adjustable v notch sight. LOP is around 14”. Double set triggers work well, lock is crisp, and over all the gun is tight. Also comes with a sling which I have removed for photos.

I have not shot this gun, but it seems to function fine. I welcome any information someone might have to educate me on what I have, and will entertain offers since I’m not sure how to price this guy. If you would like more information or photos, let me know. Price is $650 shipped.

I plan on making a brief appearance at the NY/VT Border shoot on Sunday and will bring it along in case someone wants a better look.
it's a t/c,, somebody bedded it there in front of the tang,, which can't hurt... how close to center of the pan is the flash hole,,, (the epoxy on mine got there because i had to move the barrel assembly back to get the flash hole in middle of the pan... i bet its in the middle?? & i bet it will shoot great! probably don't have the underlug because the available ones would be too short for a barrel that long,,, maybe it was used as a "chunk" gun?? that jb looks like it would be under the barrel, not anything to do with fitting the lock,, (tang & breech plug are of barrel?)

Last edited:
Franken gun, light bench based on a TC hawken. Top of the frizzen was squared off, or a new frizzen installed at some point. It was not unusual back in the 1970's and 1980's to use most of a hawken to make a light bench gun. I made one from a Cabela's hawken, with TC trigger guard and triggers, L^R lock and 42 inch H&H barrel. in 45 caliber. I drilled and tapped an extra hole in the tang to take a European diopter sight. and put a redfield front sight on it. Did darn well at 100 yds on a calm day, but 45 caliber couldn't buck the wind.

it's a t/c,, somebody bedded it there in front of the tang,, which can't hurt... how close to center of the pan is the flash hole,,, (the epoxy on mine got there because i had to move the barrel assembly back to get the flash hole in middle of the pan... i bet its in the middle?? & i bet it will shoot great! probably don't have the underlug because the available ones would be too short for a barrel that long,,, maybe it was used as a "chunk" gun??

Franken gun, light bench based on a TC hawken. Top of the frizzen was squared off, or a new frizzen installed at some point. It was not unusual back in the 1970's and 1980's to use most of a hawken to make a light bench gun. I made one from a Cabela's hawken, with TC trigger guard and triggers, L^R lock and 42 inch H&H barrel. in 45 caliber. I drilled and tapped an extra hole in the tang to take a European diopter sight. and put a redfield front sight on it. Did darn well at 100 yds on a calm day, but 45 caliber couldn't buck the wind.
what weight bullet were you using? (or were you using a patched ball)? i've got paper patched 500 grain bullets ready to shoot out of my 18 twist 45 cal rice barrel. they might buck the wind a bit? (i hope)

what weight bullet were you using? (or were you using a patched ball)? i've got paper patched 500 grain bullets ready to shoot out of my 18 twist 45 cal rice barrel. they might buck the wind a bit? (i hope)
I had a 1:72 twist, but with a special rifling. The grooves were very wide but shallow round bottom and thin lands in between. The grooves looked more like an oval laid on it's side for the cutter. lands were only 1/5 the width of the grooves. I never tried a bullet in it. But had several 5 shot 45 caliber groups that could be covered with a quarter at 100 yds. Had a house fire and the barrel is now warped about 3/16 out of straight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back