• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Improvised Tow?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingsax26

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I was sitting on the couch staring at a pile of manilla rope. And I started wondering if it would work in place of tow? Has anyone ever tried this? I have already broke the manilla starnds from rope in to a big pile of fluff....I even spent a while beating the strands over a wood sawhorse! Just wondering whos already tried and how it worked

Try it and see if it does work.

I do have to ask "Why"? A generous supply of Tow costs little and is easily available....

I've not tried Manila but have used hemp picked apart. Some time ago I bought a bag from Townsend trying to get tow. He was out of tow but sent a big bag of hemp stings. About the same as if you bought some hemp yarn at a craft store and cut it in to foot long pieces.
Picked apart in to fibers it works about the same. I got about the same results from blanket scraps picked apart....although don't try this with any wool blend :shocked2: the blend is nylon and melts, not easy to clean.
Also I took a bag of dog hair added some lard and squeezed iot in to a greasy mess, broke a wad off the mess and used that. It worked well, stank bad and was a pain to mess with.

Honestly I ahve no idea why...but I have alot of manilla, sissal and hemp rope laying around. So if I dont ahve to spend money ....well eventually I can buy another gun

A several year supply of tow costs about $10. Rope is far more useful as rope.

That said, I do not use tow for fire-starting, rather it is used for gun cleaning (I have yet to try tow as smoothbore wadding). For fire-starting, I prefer the shredded inner bark of cottonwood or shredded cedar bark, which just happen to be FREE.

I've read of people using grass and leaves collected on-site as smoothbore wadding, so shredded rope could work. Just seems like a lot of extra work.

Never have used inner bark, will have to try. We have a lot of cedar( juniper) here. Grass will work, and dried leafs, but I have had it throw out fire. Ozark ground litter is dry enough to burn about 20 min after the rain stops.

I use sisal 1/4" rope for wadding, I cut it in one inch pieces, I put one piece in a coffee grinder for about one second it fluff's up real quick, I lube it with peanut oil because that's what I have, this is all I use for smooth bore, it works good with large bore rifles also.
Hermit

I have used "unraveled" baler twine (which is sisal ) for years. Used baler twine is free and I am a cheap skate. :idunno: :idunno:

tenngun said:
Never have used inner bark,
I have from a poplar tree.....works good!
25 yards offhand and the flyer was all me, I dropped my elbow...
Liberty-20131013-00158_zpsd1a3b9dd.jpg

as regards baler twine ... the stuff my hay guy uses is impregnated with some sort of green dyed chemical which is said to make it taste really bad (keeps the mice from chewing your bales open) ... has anyone heard of this? will this effect the performance of the sisal for gun applications?

Thanks!

Back