• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Glad to be Back! Couple Build Pics (Plank)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JL

32 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
After I finished “hacking” my way through my 1st kit roughly three years ago (a Pedersoli which was posted), I purchased a plank, “hit the books,” got some parts, and began to pick up some quality tools. The build was going great until I used a power tool on the ramrod. Thinking I had absolutely secured everything in place, and working in small increments, some chips must have been collecting at the tip (etc…) and I ended up going through and left around the lock.

I didn’t understand the actual “result” and just concluded that I had probably ruined my build. Despite this, I moved on to the barrel tennons. These challenged me as well. I felt like I was butchering them. Between the ramrod and tennons/pinning, I hung it up and beat myself up for all the money I had spent.

The “rifle” just kind of sat there for a while. I used some of the plank pieces which I had removed and my fancy tools to make my brother a handmade turkey beard hanger. The carving looked pretty good considering that I free-handed it.

Maybe three or four weeks ago… I returned to the build. I’m not sure what triggered me to do so. It bothered me for the first few days that I had forgotten so many of the details. These were details I had meticulously researched and were critical to the build. They all quickly came back to me, though. Instead of baby-footing with the remaining couple of problematic tennons, I used the triangle file confidently and lightly tapped a couple fresh ones in. The pinning had given me some headaches too, in the past. Now, I was all over this.

Everything’s just come together after learning my mistakes were, just trivial. Most of the bolt work took me 8-12 hours of consideration. This type of work is all new to me. Since picking up the tools again, I now have a “functioning rifle” that’s more accurate to my aspirations than I could ever have hoped. There’s far more work to go but as Bill Raby has said, “it’s all cosmetic.” Lucky to live in an age where I can watch Bill R. videos, of course. Joined the NMLRA because of you, Sir. Thanks to everyone that commented on my first, kit. Some of your words have inspired me to keep the gouges going. Now, I’m going fishing for a while!

Attachments

• 1186.jpg
    1186.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 2
  • 11862.jpg
    11862.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Looks like the parts are there. Now you just have to make it look pretty.

Building from a blank isn't nearly as hard as everyone seems to think it is. Suggestion would be to round off the bottom of the fore end a bit more. Looks a bit flat in the picture.

Back