• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

My brand new Uberti either has the shortest arbor ever or......

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just opened my Uberti Leech & Rigdon.

It seems both Pietta and Uberti are fitting the hands long , because both the Pietta .44 Navy I got 2 days ago and this Uberti have hammers that lock into full cock a hair after the bolt drops into the bolt stop cutout.

Either they're doing this so the hands last longer with people's Gorilla hands strength cranking on hammers or we have less skilled post-pandemic assemblers. On a few chambers on each I have to really crank back to get the hammer to lock into full cock . Just an observation, I think they'll wear in a little bit after a few 100 rounds.

Also this Uberti, after removing the wedge screw, the wedge can be tapped in all the way , to it's limit and the b/c gap stays the same, and the cylinder doesn't contact the forcing cone. So I'm assuming the arbor is just that short. Every other one of my 8 Ubertis has a forcing cone that will contact the cylinder face with the wedge tapped in too far except my 2007 production London Navy which appears to be the only Uberti ever made with an arbor that bottoms out in the hole.

Either Uberti is making the arbors even shorter to appease the people who are constantly online talking about guns locking up from wedges going in too far or this one is just way short.

I also just received a Pietta .36 1851 Navy with a short arbor, a first for me out of now 9 Piettas that I own.

So....either Midway is getting "seconds" from both manufacturers, or the new tidal wave of shipments are just a hodge podge of guns fitted by newer employees, who knows.

They all work and I'll get around to shooting them all, they'll need tweaking but that's just par for the course

I just bought an Uberti 61 Navy from Midway that I just sent to the importer to have the frame inspected, with, hopefully, a fix or replacement to follow. The trigger screw threads are cut so close to the hand channel that a portion of the screw threads have bled through into the hand channel. The OD of the treads showing in the channel. There's a hole in the same area. Some might say it's nothing, but I'm obsessive about my firearms. Glad I inspected it upon receipt.

Of course if the frame is replaced I might not have the gun back for months, ah well, it's winter. Wonder what they do about the ser. # in that case.

Another oddity to the gun is it rings like a bell when it's cocked and the hammer is let down on the nipple.

Last edited:
“Uberti have hammers that lock into full cock a hair after the bolt drops into the bolt stop cutout.”
That is as near perfect as you can hope for, there’s no reason for the hammer to be pulled past this point.

It seems both Pietta and Uberti are fitting the hands long , because both the Pietta .44 Navy I got 2 days ago and this Uberti have hammers that lock into full cock a hair after the bolt drops into the bolt stop cutout.

Either they're doing this so the hands last longer with people's Gorilla hands strength cranking on hammers or we have less skilled post-pandemic assemblers. On a few chambers on each I have to really crank back to get the hammer to lock into full cock . Just an observation, I think they'll wear in a little bit after a few 100 rounds.

Also this Uberti, after removing the wedge screw, the wedge can be tapped in all the way , to it's limit and the b/c gap stays the same, and the cylinder doesn't contact the forcing cone. So I'm assuming the arbor is just that short. Every other one of my 8 Ubertis has a forcing cone that will contact the cylinder face with the wedge tapped in too far except my 2007 production London Navy which appears to be the only Uberti ever made with an arbor that bottoms out in the hole.

Either Uberti is making the arbors even shorter to appease the people who are constantly online talking about guns locking up from wedges going in too far or this one is just way short.

I also just received a Pietta .36 1851 Navy with a short arbor, a first for me out of now 9 Piettas that I own.

So....either Midway is getting "seconds" from both manufacturers, or the new tidal wave of shipments are just a hodge podge of guns fitted by newer employees, who knows.

They all work and I'll get around to shooting them all, they'll need tweaking but that's just par for the course
Nine Piettas? You can get a good grasp on their quality with that number! :)

The truth is other than an easy and consistent wedge depth guide a perfectly fit arbor end into the well bottom is about as necessary as having the bolt drop only in the lead of a cylinder notch !
The majority of the guns in use today, many who have been going strong for decades, have neither of these supposed short comings corrected.

Back