• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How to pattern a cylinder bore shotgun?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The PDF to all of this can be found at claytargettesting.com

@Britsmoothy I respectfully disagree with you. I belong to a large hunt/gun Lodge that has a few trap, skeet and sporting clays former national champions as members. This is the method they all use to determine POI vs POA for both hunting and sport shooting shotguns. This includes modern shotguns that cost as much as a new pickup truck does. Only after determining the error, if any, can one go about making changes to either gun fit or muzzles. All of this applies to muzzleloading smoothbores as well. I have never seen anyone who can stand upright unsupported and shoot be able to determine accurately the error between POI and POA. Unless one is dealing with a bespoke properly fitted shotgun, there WILL be POI/POA discrepancies. Sometimes they are minor and insignificant, sometimes they are so bad it's disgraceful. I would rather "waste a few shots" getting a good base line first then go into the task blindly.

@Britsmoothy I respectfully disagree with you. I belong to a large hunt/gun Lodge that has a few trap, skeet and sporting clays former national champions as members. This is the method they all use to determine POI vs POA for both hunting and sport shooting shotguns. This includes modern shotguns that cost as much as a new pickup truck does. Only after determining the error, if any, can one go about making changes to either gun fit or muzzles. All of this applies to muzzleloading smoothbores as well. I have never seen anyone who can stand upright unsupported and shoot be able to determine accurately the error between POI and POA. Unless one is dealing with a bespoke properly fitted shotgun, there WILL be POI/POA discrepancies. Sometimes they are minor and insignificant, sometimes they are so bad it's disgraceful. I would rather "waste a few shots" getting a good base line first then go into the task blindly.
Disagree with what sir? Me expressing my opinion verses yours? No need. You are entitled as I am to your opinion.
Now, on the matter of being able to shoot off hand accurately so as to be able to call a bad shot and a good one, that's another discussion sir but I must add. I have known many that can shoot unsupported and determine many a point! Why, are you suggesting I imagined what I saw with my eyes and determined with my mind?
Has the op imagined it too?

You do it your way and the way of your lodge with the members high dollar scatterguns for chipping at clays blah blah and I'll do it mine and go get the rabbit which incidentally tastes way way better than a clay!
Good day.

Read the pdf and found it interesting and educational. The most interesting item to me was how the article stressed duplicating what you see standing at the firing line when you are shooting from the bench, while your post suggested shooting at the target from the bench using best form. Big difference, at least in my opinion. At best a major piece of missing information. And if you would have explained how it is detailed in the article, you would have received a different response from me on your earlier post.
the proper way to determine the POI vs POA of a modern cartridge shotgun is to bench the gun on sandbags fore and aft, shoot at a target 13 yards away from the muzzle, the target is a large sheet of white paper with a simple plus sign drawn on it with a sharpie say 1' tall and wide, shoot at targets several times using best form.
1598052546971.jpeg

Good grief. Tried to be helpful. Won't happen again.
Hey, thought your post was helpful. My original concern was the lack of correlation between shooting at the bench and standing on the firing line. Have seen more than one check their pattern and POI from the bench and then fail miserably when shooting from the firing line. Nothing personal, just my opinion of the information as posted.

@SDSmlf

I gave a very brief 'cliff notes' description of the methodology. I then posted a link where one could find the PDF file where the methodology is covered in great detail. I'm not going to type all the ins and outs of finding POI this way on an outdated tablet.

Thanks for your help. I’m new here and I don’t mean to be an annoyance. As I said, there is lots of reading in here. Evidently this question hit a nerve.
You are on an "adventure" with your sxs cylinder bore. This thread should point you in many good directions as you get started. The "nerves jangled" just add that little extra. ;) Have fun & Enjoy!

I believe this is correct for bench shooting, but I have found my shotgun POI changes when I shoot from a normal stance when compared to shooting off bags. Guess my ‘best form’ from bags is not duplicated when shooting offhand, likely not anchoring my cheek on the stock the same. I tend to point a shotgun rather than aim it. Only interested in where my shotgun hits when I am shooting from normal shooting position. Just my opinion.
Everything rested and shot from a hard surface will shoot away from it. Result is it will shoot low when fired from a field or hunting hold. Have a wool pants pocket full of brisket hair to prove my theory..

I am living in my 10th decade and as old as dirt plus....but new to this forum. I love shooting old muzzle load shotguns and have started making my own black powder. I have found that in guns of 12 gauge and larger, 1FG black powder works best for tighter and evenly dispersed patterns. In my guns, I load the powder in my 12 guages, usually 75 grains....top with a ball of wasp nest tightly packed....followed by two stiff card wads cut from waxed milk cartons....followed by the usual 1-1/8 oz. of copper plated 7-1/2 or hard #6. A stiff card is placed on top of the shot and rammed gently home. Then, from Skychief, a cushion wad soaked in olive oil to finish it off. Every gun is different and yours might not like this. And yes, at 25 yards, this load will penetrate both sides of a bean can. Glad to be here. I have been watching all of your posts and learning for several months. Keep your powder dry and regards!

Latest posts

Back