• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dove Shoot Observations

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For the opening 3-days of dove season I used a composed pair of what are really 13-gauge SxS ML's. When I say a pair, they are the same company, stock dimensions, barrel length - in fact they were made just 2-years apart. The one and only difference is that one is choked Sk/IM and the other is LM/IM. That's how they measure and that is factory.

Anyway, I had a loader with me. He is learning ML's and shooting and wanted to observe and help. For simplicity I set up 3 dishes. One had powder, one corn meal and one shot. This simplified and expedited loading. Same scoop of powder, corn meal and shot followed by a thin over-powder card. The scoop was set at 1-oz and the shot size was #8 (hard shot). The system worked well and as intended but the results were'nt what I am used to.

Usually, I load powder, hard card (1 for an ounce, 2 for 1.125 ounce and 3 for 1.25 oz) shot and over-shot thin card. During a day using "cards" I may load a damp fibre wad if the loading gets rough or the bores seem very dirty. I use these guns and this combo on 90% of all shotgun needs for about the past 7-years.

My shot to hit ratio was lower than it has ever been. After a few sits on the doves, I went to a standard trap machine, shooting from the house (not the 16-yard line). I did not hit any of the 8 (two shots per barrel both guns) where I usually get all of them. This is with the corn meal loads.

For the last sit I went back to the cards and did not use corn meal. My hits on doves went up noticeably. More curious, I went back to the trap machine. Loading with the cards, I hit all the clays.

Apparently these guns don't care for corn meal. There's too much history and repetition to say it was a coincidence or just a bad day. I wanted the corn meal to work, as I thought it was easy and quick to load and deal with when stationary hunting. It must be effecting the patterns somehow, or a significant change in velocity. I wonder why?

My main observation during dove hunting is it's to damned hot to be standing in a field shooting little birds.
Been a while since I went. Our practice was to be in the field before dawn. Back at the house before 11:00 for lunch and a nap. Back in the field around 4:00PM til dusk. No point in being out there in the worst heat of the day. Birds didn't fly then anyhow.

Have you ever tried #7 1/2 shot? If so how did it compare to #8?
The 7 1/2 is a bit better on doves later on in the season. These young, dumb early birds seem to be closer, smaller and thinner feathered than later in the season. The patterning board shows similar patterns with no big advantage from one to the other - but I patterned with the cards - I haven't patterned but one shot from each barrel with corn meal. The corn meal patterns were shot at 20-yards and they were even, round and dense. I think they are a little wider than the patterns with cards, and that could be a contributing factor when these birds were 25-35 yards typically.

Latest posts

Back