• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How Many Process Their Own Game?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The nice thing about canned deer meat is that the old ones that are tuff turn into tender meat. The pressure must break down the meat and make it easier to chew on. Also if the power goes out you don't have to worry about the meat getting spoiled. You could eat it right out of the jar if you had to.

Canning meat is going to tenderize it. Process time is 90 min. in a pressure canner.

It nice knowing both that it's ready to eat and stores without using power. You do have to worry about the jars freezing though.

I do my own. We usually make it kind of a family thing, since my eldest son hunts with me. He always helps with the processing. In the past it has been him and me and my wife, but this year my wife was busy at home with Thanksgiving/Christmas preparation so my 10 and 13 year-old granddaughters pitched in. The youngest weighed and bagged with the Foodsaver while the eldest ran the grinder. My son took a turn at boning while I cut and cleaned up fat and silver skin. Usually I do the boning, but he wanted to give it a try. I get more meat off the carcass when I do it, but he will learn.

I think it is critical to properly take care of game from the time it hits the ground until it goes into the deep freeze. Too many seem to have lost that skill or just don't care to learn. I can see the need for programs like HUSH, but I think it gets mightily abused. Too many killers and not enough hunters. Killers don't care how the game is cared for because they don't plan to eat it anyway. I wasn't raised that way. Hunting meant putting meat on our table. Many times it meant the difference between a delicious meal and a peanut butter sandwich. Small game was much more plentiful than dollars during my childhood. Holes in my pants wasn't a fashion statement, nor were patches considered taboo. They still aren't for me until the wife tells me there isn't enough left to stitch a patch to! Sorry for the rant, guys and gals.

I'm trying to work up to canning deer. The thing that has held me back has been childhood memories of government canned beef my mom bought from a local "damaged and unclaimed freight" store. When she opened the tin can, you could smell it all over the house...and it was not a good smell! About the best way to make it palatable was to make barbecued beef with it. To this day my wife can't understand why I don't care for barbecued beef. I know it's a mental thing because my uncle always canned all his deer, and I've eaten an liked it before, so I'm going to give it a shot.

I'm about out of freezer space, so if I take a late season deer, I'll have to do the canning idea with some of it. The rest will go to a local locker for deer brats, which are awesome by the way!

Great thread!

Just finished a nice 7 pt. harvested on Monday, I like to hang them a while prior to the butchering. The jerkey is in the dehydrators. The only thing I have not made so far this year is snack sticks as the wife has not been feeling well, took them to a processor. Come Maryland's late muzzle loader season I will make my own bologna. The season started off bad the first day a lot of ice and by 10 a.m. I had to get off the mountain. come Monday 2 hrs. in the hunt and here comes Mr. 7 point chasing his girl friend.Passed 3 smaller bucks during the early muzzle loader season. I usually like to harvest 2 a year, the neighbors and my Grand daughter now that she is in college has limited time to hunt with me look forward to the care packages. My dad passed 2 years ago he was my hunting partner for over 50 years. We processed a bunch of deer together over the years. AN APPALICHIAN HUNTER

Back