• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ol’ Reliable does it again!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Took my 20 ga trade gun out the other day and the only deer I saw were across the fence in my neighbor’s horse pasture. Packing last night for the hunting trip I’m on as of today, I told my wife I was dithering- I’ve always wanted to take a deer with a flintlock but to date every deer I’ve killed on purpose was taken with my ol’ reliable Investarms Hawken. “Take the rifle,” said she. “It’s lucky.”
A little after 4:00 this afternoon, this fellow came along. I had just woken up from a little snooze at the base of an oak and was marveling at the plethora of squirrels when this buck stepped out of cover on the other side of the creek. He was nervous, kept stopping and looking at me. I didn’t twitch. He started to walk down the steep bank of the creek in a spot that would have brought him up practically in my lap, but stopped, stared, then turned and started walking away, tail high. He turned parallel to the creek and I worked my gun up as he passed behind trees. Finally got my shot broadside at 50 yards. I was shooting a .440 ball in a linen patch over 75g FFg and he dropped right where he stood. Saved his hide, which I’ll braintan and use to make a new sleeve for Ol’ Reliable.
Jay

Attachments

• 72160531973__94F3C1CB-1916-401F-9691-12CAC52B6229.jpeg
    72160531973__94F3C1CB-1916-401F-9691-12CAC52B6229.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2637.jpeg
    IMG_2637.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
Took my 20 ga trade gun out the other day and the only deer I saw were across the fence in my neighbor’s horse pasture. Packing last night for the hunting trip I’m on as of today, I told my wife I was dithering- I’ve always wanted to take a deer with a flintlock but to date every deer I’ve killed on purpose was taken with my ol’ reliable Investarms Hawken. “Take the rifle,” said she. “It’s lucky.”
A little after 4:00 this afternoon, this fellow came along. I had just woken up from a little snooze at the base of an oak and was marveling at the plethora of squirrels when this buck stepped out of cover on the other side of the creek. He was nervous, kept stopping and looking at me. I didn’t twitch. He started to walk down the steep bank of the creek in a spot that would have brought him up practically in my lap, but stopped, stared, then turned and started walking away, tail high. He turned parallel to the creek and I worked my gun up as he passed behind trees. Finally got my shot broadside at 50 yards. I was shooting a .440 ball in a linen patch over 75g FFg and he dropped right where he stood. Saved his hide, which I’ll braintan and use to make a new sleeve for Ol’ Reliable.
Jay

Always listen to your wife.

Back