• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How does a Bowie differ from other large knives?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fox184 said:
Jack Wilson said:
Fox184 said:
Yes it does, there is only so many ways to reinvent the wheel. :wink:
Yes but this is supposed to be about TRADITIONAL stuff. Not "plastic spacers". I know, it's in the "spirit" of tradition. So is an inline. :bull:

I guess your definition of "traditional" and mine are different.
I guess they are. Here's one for those who define "Bowie" as anything with a sharp edge. :rotf:

tumblr_l9mat1eD3m1qc7qvfo1_500.jpg

Guys, on both sides, the Bark river knife was shown as only an example to compare a modern Bowie design to old Sheffield Bowies. This it did, kinda sorta. However, Jack also has a point, but I don't see him, or the other side either, standing on solid ground in this verbal conflict. You cannot defend the Bark River knife as being other than modern, but it was presented as just an example of some similarities to the Sheffield knives. May we simply call it a draw and move on? Since there has been no opinion from a moderator, I would assume there are no serious problems here.

Wick Ellerbe said:
Guys, on both sides, the Bark river knife was shown as only an example to compare a modern Bowie design to old Sheffield Bowies. This it did, kinda sorta. However, Jack also has a point, but I don't see him, or the other side either, standing on solid ground in this verbal conflict. You cannot defend the Bark River knife as being other than modern, but it was presented as just an example of some similarities to the Sheffield knives. May we simply call it a draw and move on? Since there has been no opinion from a moderator, I would assume there are no serious problems here.
Yes. :)

Your reply is inane and patently ridiculous. Show a pic of any 19th c. Sheffield that looks like the Bark River version. Come on, do it expert.

Fox184 said:
My definition of "Traditional" is probably a lot different than some here. Just hope they don't drive to the local reenactment or rendezvous and stop and get a Big Mac on the way. Only walking/horses and eating buffalo/elk meat is acceptable.
I've been avoiding this topic, but... How you get to an event is irrelevant and you know it. That's the old cheap shot that some use to say that nothing can be traditional.

Also, I define modern here and this knife is modern. You don't have to agree.

11.jpg

Fox184 said:
When I registered here you failed to give me the definition of "traditional" as it applies to this site.
I figured that everyone would assume the basics as it relates to muzzleloading and reenacting the past. The main differentiation being between side-locks and inlines, but encompassing other aspects of muzzleloading and reenacting as well. Most seem to understand the intention.

Tradition

an inherited, established, or customary pattern of thought, action, or behavior (as a religious practice or a social custom)

the handing down of information, beliefs, and customs by word of mouth or by example from one generation to another without written instruction

cultural continuity in social attitudes, customs, and institutions

characteristic manner, method, or style

I think it is quite obvious who does, or does not get the point. Claude summed that up very well. With the best of intention, I tried to give you the benefit of any doubt, and to do my best to not take a side in this. But, no, that was not good enough for you. You want the last word, and to have it your way or no way. Well, have at it, as you have fully succeeded in making a fool of yourself, go ahead, reply and have the last word. I don't give in, but I do give up.

Can we just all agree that since it's a knife not a sword, if we were fighting with it we'd hold it upside down, blade down, by the pinky finger, "Hollywood" style? I mean, just LOOK at the grip on that toothpick -- isn't it MADE to be held backwards!?

:rotf:

Alden said:
Can we just all agree that since it's a knife not a sword, if we were fighting with it we'd hold it upside down, blade down, by the pinky finger, "Hollywood" style? I mean, just LOOK at the grip on that toothpick -- isn't it MADE to be held backwards!?

:rotf:
Actually a grip like that works very well when held point down along the forearm....difference in viewpoint is perhaps I have the hands on experience with handles like that and you don't have but objective...

Frankly, I would NOT be surprised to find out that a soldier of the PACSA would have described your "Arkansas Toothpick" as a BOWIE, inasmuch as period "inventory" documents from TWBTS mention "bowie knives" issued to Trans-Mississippi troops that LOOK LIKE "toothpicks" or large daggers.

As "tenngunn" correctly (imVho) pointed out earlier, people in previous centuries were NOT as "wrapped around the axel" about "names" as we "modern" people are.

Note to All: I would assuredly like to have a REAL expert (perhaps from The Smithsonian Institution) carefully examine the "Bowie knife" that the Mexican family reportedly has & that is marked with the RB (with the R reversed & "connected to" the B = PROBABLY Rezin Bowie's registered cattle brand, from what I've been told at HAM.), as that just MIGHT be THE knife that COL Bowie had at the Siege of The Alamo Fortress.
(I cannot imagine HOW a family in "interior Mexico" would know about the "RB" mark, unless they HAVE the knife in question BUT I doubt that we will ever have that opportunity, as "the powers that be" at The Shrine do NOT want it to be the real Bowie knife.= It's called "egotism" & being "fully wedded to long-held opinions".)
Mr. Charles Oliver, CEO & President of THE TEXAS WAGON TRAIN ASSN., in 1986 offered to PAY FOR the "Mexican knife" so that it could be "submitted to authentication" & was "quietly but strongly discouraged" from doing so by a Vice-President of TDOTA.

Note 2: IF Dr. Patrick Waggoner MD had not been SO DETERMINED & had not "bucked the powers that be", we would still not know about the REAL Gonzales Cannon that "touched off" our Revolution against The Dictator.
(The "city fathers" of Gonzales tried everything, including "character assassination", to STOP Dr. Waggoner in his quest to authenticate "The Little Cannon That Could". = The city fathers did NOT want "an insignificant & rusty little toy cannon" to be authenticated, as they had a restored 6-pound brass Napoleon that they had long claimed to be THE Gonzales cannon.)

yours, satx

I am new here but I thought I would add this knife since bowies are the subject. What is the forums take on this?
DSC03885.JPG

Attachments

• DSC03873.JPG
    DSC03873.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC04077.JPG
    DSC04077.JPG
    172.4 KB · Views: 65
I would call it a butcher. However I saw a photo of a ‘Bowie’ from the 1850s that looked more like French kitchen knife with a Spanish type handle.
With that in your hand and if you call it a Bowie or your pen knife I’ll say ‘yes sir, and good looking one it is’

I'm by no means a historian of Bowie knives.
One thing I do know is the years have rather dispelled the actual size, shape and weight.
I do have several.
One is a nice Damascus of what many typically consider the Bowie. Thick spine, heavy heel, sharp drop point and holding it edge up with index finger wrapped around guard is just plain natural. Blade 11 inches.
Another Damascus is thin. Same length, shape and feel and would be a better fighting knife than the heavier one. But would not be good at chopping, understandably.
Another just as an oddity is the Rambo III. It's a pretty nice knife actually. The steel is really good and will not be affected by cold bluing. The edge it will hold is scary. The blade is longer but lacks heel weight and is some what straighter. But the fighting grip is there.
Another just to collect it is the Old West Bowie. It is massive. More like a short sword. The blade is more straight in the body. Has good heel and due to its length can't help but have heel weight.
Then, for the older guys, the German steel stage horn handled little Bowie that was popular in 50s and 60s that many a dad got for their young hunters. Not near the presumed size but in that presumed shape and actually a very good blade. Still have one in my field kit.
Schrade, Western and others made their versions.
The Schrade has a decent typical shape blade but the fighting grip is not there. The Western had typical shape, good heel weight and good fight grip but the blade steel was not that great. I saw one break at the handle from just splitting a piece of wood. Plus it would not hold an edge long.
So with all the hype and lack of exact history it has been done over so much that the end result is there are many made that fit numerous practical uses. My first one, the heavy Damascus, is a part of my field kit because it is handy for light chopping. Great for bone cutting and sternum splitting.
The little Bowie is good for dressing and skinning.
The Rambo III, well, it's just mainly the odd collected but very good for cutting because it hold a scary edge. I've shaved hogs with it and quartered with it.
The Schrade is pretty good all-around field and basic use.
The Old West Bowie, a collectable maybe rendezvous holly cow knife.
The thin Damascus is just a serious flesh cutter.
IMO even in the days of Bowie there had to be similar variations.

Back