• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How do you transport/store .58 minié balls?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone.
I use a 44/45 caliber plastic pistol ammunition case with a snap lid to take my Whitworth projectiles to the range. However I can’t seem to find one of suitable size to hold minié balls. I want to develop a load with loose powder and ball before I make paper cartridges.

If anyone takes lubed .58 minié balls to the range, what do you use to keep them clean and organised? Maybe a 20 gauge shotshell box?

Hello everyone.
I use a 44/45 caliber plastic pistol ammunition case with a snap lid to take my Whitworth projectiles to the range. However I can’t seem to find one of suitable size to hold minié balls. I want to develop a load with loose powder and ball before I make paper cartridges.

If anyone takes lubed .58 minié balls to the range, what do you use to keep them clean and organised? Maybe a 20 gauge shotshell box?

I use a cigar box

If anyone takes lubed .58 minié balls to the range, what do you use to keep them clean and organised?
I line them up nose to tail five in a row and wrap them in rolled-up wax paper, twisted on the ends. The five-ball rolls can then be put in any kind of container without messing it up or scraping the lube off the balls. A single Minie ball can be easily ripped off one end of the tube for use.

I get these big 5" round tins, larger bottoms with a thin cover, even that like the mink oil from Track is sold in. They're over an inch tall and hold a good amount of sized/lubed Mines. I also 'bake' the tins in a fire - to blacken them and remove any writing or brand details on them and clean/oil - before use.

After trying many different containers I found that a box from Hornady .44cal round balls works great. As you can see it will hold 36 of the 500 grain minieballs. I place a little cardboard piece to take up the slack. It also hold 18 of the paper cartridges that I sometimes make. The boxes seen here have been used for over 2 years. They have absorbed enough of my homemade lube to be quite waterproof.

Attachments

• 20231109_081215.jpg
    20231109_081215.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231109_081302.jpg
    20231109_081302.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231109_081339.jpg
    20231109_081339.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back