• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How about some Liver Mush!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Livermush is a Southern United States food product composed of pig liver, head parts, and cornmeal. It is commonly spiced with pepper and sage. Though sometimes considered the same as liver pudding, livermush is generally coarser in texture and commonly found in the western part of North Carolina. It normally has a different recipe from liver pudding, though the distinction is blurred

Ingredients: 1 fresh hog liver 1 1/2 lbs. fresh fat pork 2 c. cornmeal Red pepper Salt Black pepper Sage Cook liver and fat pork until tender. Remove from broth the liver only and grind. Add corn meal, peppers, and sage to taste. Add enough of the broth to soften mixture. Cook in saucepan until meal has cooked, stirring constantly. Put in mold. Press down until cold. Slice and serve cold or broil

Yes I did google, I never heard of liver mush before. Just so happens my wife is out of town. So I was going to have liver and onions tonight. My wife hates liver. So I cooked up this mush tonight. I do like liver. But this stuff is not on top of my list of good eats. I fried some and tried it cold. Cold to me was not to good, fried atleast edible. Will not try again.

Jerry

I heard that it is good fried and thought maybe some of our southern members might of tried it. I can remember my mom making scrapple, head cheese and corn meal mush, but not Liver Mush. I think that corn meal is probably used as a binder.

My folks made it, but it's been a long time since I ate any. In W NC, they have a liver mush festival. I remember the red pepper more than anything.

I kinda liked it, IIRC. It forms up when it cools down and you can slice it and fry it. The cornmeal acts as a binder.

But I like corn in about any form: grits, polenta, cornbread, whatever. When I was a kid, we used to go to Watts' Mill and watch him grind corn into meal. Very neat and noisy.

Liverwurst, liver loaf, liver sausage, pate, its all good. Popular in the south and many rural areas as it was/is poor peoples food(well, maybe not the pate). Love me some liver and smothered onions in gravy :grin:

Not so sure about the liver and grits though, I'm a purist, I'll take my grits with just a little butter, salt and pepper. :wink:

Were you perhaps thinking about scrapple?

I'm not s big liver fan, with or with out grits. A little cubed and put in to a stew or beef noddle soup makes a killer broth. Funny I don't care for liver, or liverwust, but like brunswiger and patee :idunno: I don't think I will try the mush, but would think some one who enjoyed liver would like it.

I don't know Alden. I bought some eggs and cheese. Made some grits , more then I could eat that morning. So I molded them and put them in the fridge. Thought I would slice and fry them for breakfast the next day. When I got up the next day my grits were gone and I had 18 eggs and 1 and 1/2 pounds of cheese.... Makes you wonder

Indeed it does make me wonder -- did you find out who ate the grits, a dozen of your eggs, and the missing half pound of cheese!?

Latest posts

Back