• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hopkin & Allen Underhammers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As a boy I scrolled through Gun Digest and Shooter's Bibles as if Christmas catalogs. Muzzleloader attracted my interest and back then H&A advertised the Minuteman, a sidelock long rifle, and an assortment of underhammer models. There was also sidelock half stock rifle I can't recall the model of. If I remember correctly the underhammer models were reasonably priced.

Watching auction sites the H&A underhammer models seem to bring fairly high prices for what they seem to be. I've no experience with them, does anyone know what makes them attractive on the used market?

I bought a 45 pistol in the mid 90's for $30 at a garage sale. I finally sold it a few years ago making a hefty profit. Fun to shoot though. Definitely not going to win a beauty contest.

I bought my .45 Heritage Model H&A around 55 years ago and shot the H%#& out of it. That fine rifle took squirrel, bobcat and deer. It's also WOW! accurate. Simple design, beautiful architecture and wonderfully pleasant to handle are all plusses in my book. Mine now lives on the wall but the memories of our adventures together remain fresh.

PICT0387-1.jpg

As a boy I scrolled through Gun Digest and Shooter's Bibles as if Christmas catalogs. Muzzleloader attracted my interest and back then H&A advertised the Minuteman, a sidelock long rifle, and an assortment of underhammer models. There was also sidelock half stock rifle I can't recall the model of. If I remember correctly the underhammer models were reasonably priced.

Watching auction sites the H&A underhammer models seem to bring fairly high prices for what they seem to be. I've no experience with them, does anyone know what makes them attractive on the used market?
Part of the reason they're desired is because of nostalgia amongst the older guys like me who recall them from the early 60's. I had a pistol, and saw one at an auction about 3 years ago, but didn't bid as I bought a pricey other rifle. I remember the flyer H&A had, with a buck-skin-clad guy demonstrating it in B&W photos. The later generations of pistols had a comfortable and nice looking wood grip, mine was an early model with plastic grip. Yeah, older guys want one to rekindle memories.

I really want one. I think the fast lock time would make one heck of a good woods walk rifle.
Tempted to buy the parts kit and machine my own receiver. Maybe do it using a Renegade barrel since they seem to sell cheap on eBay.

I really want one. I think the fast lock time would make one heck of a good woods walk rifle.
Tempted to buy the parts kit and machine my own receiver. Maybe do it using a Renegade barrel since they seem to sell cheap on eBay.

The only parts kit I'm aware of includes the receiver and were it me I would buy the wood at the same time or just buy the entire kit for about $500.

http://www.longrifles-pr.com/underhammer.shtml

R J Renner describes the under-hammer as, “The thinking mans’ rifle.”
He is spot on.

The design provides,
  • A more direct ignition into the powder charge than a bolstered breech plug can provide. Increasing accuracy
  • Shortens lock time. Increasing accuracy
  • Does away with the eye distraction, of the shooter, a side-hammer and primer flash can cause. Increasing accuracy

Pins through the wood and the lower part of the barrel. If you look closely at the photo above (post #16) you can see the 2 pins in the forearm. This is true for H&A underhammers but not necessarily for H&A copies or other underhammers.

R J Renner describes the under-hammer as, “The thinking mans’ rifle.”
He is spot on.

The design provides,
  • A more direct ignition into the powder charge than a bolstered breech plug can provide. Increasing accuracy
  • Shortens lock time. Increasing accuracy
  • Does away with the eye distraction, of the shooter, a side-hammer and primer flash can cause. Increasing accuracy
One of his rifles is for sale near me, nice rifle, but being .72 it's kinda big.

Latest posts

Back